My brakes squeek really bad.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 08:56 PM
1st Gear Member
Default My brakes squeek really bad.

Hey guys. SO my front bakes squueek really bad, and rear kinda but i dont use them as much. Anyways I know they have to be warped, since it used to be a track bike.

Before I take it to the cycleshop and get raped on the prices, what should I look at and can I fix this myself with new pads or whatever? Obviously I dont know **** about bikes, but i have a friend who knows a bit. What does it normally cost to get brakes done???

Old 01-27-2006, 03:02 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member
Default RE: My brakes squeek really bad.

when you apply the front brakes does the front end jerk or stutter to a stop ? if so then your rotors are probley warped. if they are warped and you can live with them then try changing out the pads. rotors cost alot and pads can cost depending on what you get. both rotors and pads are easy to swap out. put the front end up on a stand and its pretty much straight forward. not knowing where you live its hard to let you know a price but even a do it yourself can set you back 500 to 1000 bucks depending on what you get.

Old 01-27-2006, 04:50 AM

Dude my brakes squeek pretty bad after i've let my bike sit or when it is cold out. Sometimes all you have to do is get them warmed up. if it was a full out track bike it may have full race pads on it which work great under the stress they receive at the track, but they will squeel like a stuck pig on the streets. so i would check the pads first since it's the cheaper route to go.

Old 01-27-2006, 02:47 PM

spray wd-40 on them puppies before you go out everytime.....no squeaking[sm=noooo.gif]

Old 01-28-2006, 04:29 AM
1st Gear Member

I USE MY FRONT BRAKE ALOT AND AT 7400 MILES MY FRONT BRAKE WAS SQUEAKING. SO I HAD THE PADS REPLACED, BUT THE PADS WHERE NOT WORE OUT NOT EVEN CLOSE. I THINK IT WAS A BUILD UP OF BRAKE DUST CAUSING THE SQUEAKING. TRY SPRAYING CONTACT CLEANER ON THE PADS FIRST(SPRAY ALOT,ENOUGH TO FLUSH IT OUT ON THE GROUND) ITS CHEAPER, ALTHOUGH THAT MAY NOT BE THE PROBLEM. I WISH I HAD TRIED THAT FIRST. EBC PADS COST ME $80 JUST FOR THE PADS.

Old 01-28-2006, 09:53 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I took my pads out of the calipers, found a concrete pad that was in good condition, lapped the pads on the concrete to get rid of any glazing and put them back on. That worked for me.

Old 01-30-2006, 12:03 AM
1st Gear Member

evil i woulnt say they jerk, but they kinda sputter to a stop, like kinda jerky. But the other day some kids were in the middle of the road when i was going around the corner, and I nailed the fronts and back one and they responded well. My neighbors have triumph cruisers, and I had them look at my bike, and they said everything looks fine. So i am not sure.

i know I dont want to put any more money into the bike. So, i could bring it in somewhere, but everyone wants to tell you some BS anyways, "oh you need new this or that" so im discouraged from it. I dont know is they were racing pads or what. But I guess I can leave them be. I know when I had my 1991 GT mustang the breaks squeeked all the time. I think I had my rotors shaved a bit, but it came back. the guy was like thats just the characteristics, when your breaking hard all the time.

But they squeek all the time not cold or hot but all the time. What should i spray on them and do I have to take them apart? Is it dangerous to spray WD-40, I dont want it to not respond, esp it rains a lot here in FLorida.

P.S. What is a good site for some cheap rain pants that dont look gay (no offense the the gay ppl)
Also wouldnt mind a cheap rain jacket either. **** and I guess I might need some rain shoes and gloves. Damn bikes are money pits. I hate em, but love em.