Lowering Links and Treeclamps:

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 12:49 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Lowering Links and Treeclamps:

I've already posted a question about lowering the bike, but i was hopeing someone has gone somewhere to get it done and knows about the cost? A guy i talked to said "it's going to be expensive" he acted like i needed all new front forks?

Can most bikes treeclamps be losened for the front forks to slide up? I figure i can buy the links and he can install and lower the front and cut the stand, but to me that doesn't seem "expensive" as he stressed. Couple hundred? Let me know if you know! Thanks!

Old 04-29-2008, 05:32 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Lowering Links and Treeclamps:

going rate is between 55 and 65 an hour at most shops ? im guessing it will not take more than 2 hours to slide the forks up, install the links and cut and weld the stand so if its more than 150.00 in labor then your getting ripped off.

where you from anyway ?

Old 04-29-2008, 11:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Good ol' Oregon. Thanks for the price idea as well. Not only have i never taken a bike into a shop, but my car doesn't visit much either. Knock on wood. It's always the labor that gets you in price i find.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:56 PM

I dont mean to steal this post...but what do you mean by cut and weld the stand?

Old 04-29-2008, 05:34 PM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

when you lower the bike and not the side stand, the bike will want to stand straight up or basically fall over with the stand down. you cut the little foot off of it and reweld it onto the stem so the bikes like stock, only lower.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:35 PM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: memyname

Good ol' Oregon. Thanks for the price idea as well. Not only have i never taken a bike into a shop, but my car doesn't visit much either. Knock on wood. It's always the labor that gets you in price i find.
damm, only place i know of in OR is muzzys in bend. you can try looking up a welding shop, fabrication shop or even a muffler shop to do the kick stand.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:45 PM

That makes sense lol. I never thought about that. Thanks.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:26 PM
1st Gear Member

I actually just called the Kawasaki dealer in Salem and they said they could do it all. I don't know for how much yet, but he said it was doable. We shall see.

Just got the call back and the guy is saying they can get the links, do the labor and cut the stand for $170. Seems okay to me. Hopefully 2" is enough. Just have to wait and see. Thanks for all your help! I love calling and knowing what i'm talking about.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:40 PM
1st Gear Member

i lowered my bike a few weeks ago. 1 1/2" up front and 2" in the back. i got the kickstand cut and welded and repainted for 25. i lowered the front myself- its pretty simple. there was only 8 bolts in totaly i had to loosen. and i had to bring the bike in to get the rear lowered cuz my exhaust was in the way

Old 04-30-2008, 04:27 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: memyname

I actually just called the Kawasaki dealer in Salem and they said they could do it all. I don't know for how much yet, but he said it was doable. We shall see.

Just got the call back and the guy is saying they can get the links, do the labor and cut the stand for $170. Seems okay to me. Hopefully 2" is enough. Just have to wait and see. Thanks for all your help! I love calling and knowing what i'm talking about.
if thats not enough, check out the thread in the DIY section on shaving your seat. 170 sounds good for parts and labor right or is it just 170 labor ?

Quick Reply: Lowering Links and Treeclamps: