Loud Ticking / Really Hard to Turn Over

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 01:21 AM
Default Loud Ticking / Really Hard to Turn Over

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum. Recently started having a few problems with my 03 ZX-6r. Just finished a 2500 mile trip last month, bike just hit about 17K miles. Ticks loud (which is a common issue I've heard)....but the day after I got back from the trip, I changed my oil and added some dry gas (buddy had water in his gas, didn't want to take the chance). Just put it in the tank and walked away. Next day, bike won't turn over....starter just whirs and whirs but bike won't catch....finally after some throttle it catches. But then the pinging is LOUD!!! VERY LOUD, loud enough that I can hear it over the stock exhaust while driving down the street in first gear. After 10 minutes or so it goes away, bike seems to ride fine....and that problem didn't show up again after several rides/tanks of gas...until tonight. Again, started bike last night and ran it for a minute or two, kicked right over and listened to it, then shut it off. Tonight I try to start her up, and for about 10 minutes it just will not start. Starter whiring and whiring (during all this I noticed my choke lever or whatever they call it was stuck in the "off" position....took me a TON of hard pulling to unstick it, and now I can actually hear it opening and closing when I pull it on and off").....anyhow, bike just will not start...finally kicks over and that extremely LOUD pinging is back again but after five or so minutes of riding, back to the regular pinging sound.

Any thoughts you might have on what could cause this would be appreciated. Thought it might be a fuel filter, but can't find it. Haven't checked my plugs yet. Oil is fine, antifreeze fine (though it seems to be running somewhat warmer these days), nothing leaking that I can see. Don't want to take it to a dealer if it's something simple.

Old 09-21-2007, 04:22 AM
Default RE: Loud Ticking / Really Hard to Turn Over

check your cct home dawg, it may be skipping some teath. im not sure how loud your tick/ping/knock or whatever was, but i have the same delema. except mine always turned over and ran, just has a knock. pretty sure its the lower end

Old 09-21-2007, 12:43 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Also check you header bolts for tightness. An exhaust leak can make noise and go away when the bike warms up. Sound like you may have gotten some bad low octane gas. What brand & octane are you using? What mods do you have on the bike?

Old 09-21-2007, 12:47 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Also, Run some RXP fuel additive in your tank. It will remove carbon deposits that can cause pinging and will clean your injectors & remove water. Make sure to ALWAYS use Super Unleaded gas. I use Exxon & Mobil. Never Shell or cheap no name brand.

Old 09-21-2007, 04:26 PM

Always run 93 from HESS station down the street. Never had a problem until after the bike trip....oil change, start her up fine, add dry gas and sits for a day. Next start....engine just wouldn't turn over. Thought maybe a clogged fuel filter, but not sure how likely that is. Probably in dire need of a valve adjustment as well, but what concerns me is that the pinging issue only comes up when bike won't turn over. Started it again this morning to see, and started on the first try. Bizzare.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:54 PM

Oh, sorry to mention - no mods to bike other than external.Even thestock exhaust is still on there.....just been lazy on my part. First new bike, felt like just keeping it as is while I enjoyed my rides.

Old 09-22-2007, 01:59 AM

dude, change ur cct for real, one of my buddies bikes did the same thing. needed a cct.

Old 09-22-2007, 04:45 PM

Would the cct issue cause the bike not to turn over? Either way, I'll have to take it to a shop and have them check it out.

Old 09-22-2007, 06:45 PM

you might have a kink in the chain. also, did u wheelie this machine? check the clutch. when i pulled my pan, i found pieces of one of my fiber clutch plates. you may have pieces of that stuck somewhere in ur engine. just a thought. before you go pulling **** all apart like i did... ill be putting my new clutch plate in tomorrow to see where that gets me..

Old 09-22-2007, 07:11 PM

Interesting thought about a kink. I've pulled the occasional wheelie like everyone, but not in a long while. Going to run her down to a shop in a few weeks....of course, at that time I bet the ping will completely disappear just so they can't diagnose anything......

Quick Reply: Loud Ticking / Really Hard to Turn Over