Looking to buy a zx6r

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 02:04 AM
Default Looking to buy a zx6r

I'm looking to buy a zx6-r sometime within the next couple of months. Anyway, I was wanting to get some knowledgable peoples' opinions on whether it is realistic for me to find a ZX6-R Ninja in good condition for around $4,000. I certainly would not purchase one that had substantial damage or would not run perfectly. Slight scratches and cosmetic damage could be ignored, though.

Would I be better off saving up for a while longer and trying to find one for around $7-8k? I've seen several in good condition selling for around that, but only a few selling for sub-$5k levels, and they were completely trashed. ('05 for $2.8k ) Is it worth my time and effort to find one, or is it highly unlikely that anyone would have a good specimen and sell it for ~$4k?

I don't care too much about age, aside from the obvious maintenance and wear & tear issues that come with it. That said, a 2002 or newer ZX6-R would be amazing. 636 is good, but definitely not that important.

I will be paying cash, financing is disagreable to me... For a private sale, I could pay up to $4,500 - tax, title, etc is taken into account in the ~$4k mark.

Sorry for the long winded post, but I wanted to make sure I covered enough ground so people had an idea what I'm looking for.

P.S. I am new to motorcycles, but have experience with dirtbikes and jet skis. They are nowhere near the same, I know, but they do have elevated levels of risk compared to cars. I know the risks and have done my homework. I also know that I will be inexperienced, thus if this bike is absolutely impossible for a cautious & sane, but inexperienced rider to master, let me know. I will be looking into MSF courses and obviously wearing a helmet + other protective gear.

Thanks,

Brian

Last edited by ZX6-R; 07-31-2008 at 02:14 AM. Reason: clean up
Old 07-31-2008, 03:32 AM
1st Gear Member

sounds like you've done your homework. i would think that you should be able to get a 2000+ zx6r fairly easily that isn't thrashed for around the $4000 mark. as i was told when i got my first bike (1998 zx6r), you don't want a brand new bike as your first because when you scratch/dent it for the first time it's a whole lot worse when it's new. oh and trust me...i've dented a brand new bike...IT SUX!!! lol good luck on the purchase

Old 07-31-2008, 04:24 AM

I've heard that before, I am sure it's true - I would not enjoy the feeling of a $9k bike going down and becoming a $6-7k bike just like that. From what I hear, the fairings are pretty expensive. I also hear it is almost inevitable that it will happen... But, I don't have the $9k to spend on a new bike anyway, and a brand new $4k bike probably wouldn't last me long in terms of overall enjoyment, so used it is .

Thanks for the input. I'll shop around the local Kawi dealers and for sale listings until I find one. Anyone know a good way to get a bike checked out by a third party? I wouldn't know enough about them to visually inspect damage, other than obvious stuff and 'does it start?' I have a mechanic that I can take cars to, but he doesn't work on motorcycles.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:38 AM
1st Gear Member

I think if you are looking for a 2002-2004 you might be able to find that deal close to you. 2005-2006 I dont believe you will get that deal - they are moreso 5000-6500 depending on what is on it.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:11 AM

Update: I've been doing some research on the bikes (yet again). I've found a 2000 ZX6-R that is supposedly in great condition, never laid down. The dealer is asking $4200 for it though. Before I decide to buy a used ZX6-R, I was wondering if there would be any benefits to buying a 250R first, since it's much cheaper and supposedly great for 'beginners'? My main question is, how long would I be likely to enjoy the bike and its performance? It's quoted at 5.75 to 60, which (to be frank) is slow for a bike. (My car, which has a supercharged I4, gets around 6.5 and it weighs 10x as much at 4k pounds...)

I know the ZX6R would far exceed my performance requirements at first and would continue to meet them for quite some time... But, I don't want to kill myself on it either... The big deal with buying the 250R is that if I'm bored with the performance in less than 2 years it won't make much sense to buy it because the depreciation would be too much. (I'd have to buy new, I don't like the styling of the pre-2008 models... +, at $3500 new it's cheap)

As it is, I could save up and get a brand new ZX6R by next April or May, buy a heavily used ZX6R now, or buy a new 250R now and then possibly a ZX6R when I've tired of the performance & gained skill. Anyone heard of the slider pegs that supposedly help to prevent damage in low speed drops? I'm talking about 6-8 inch pegs that stick out the sides of the fairings, somewhat towards the middle. I'd definately be going for those if I got a new bike (and I can confirm that they actually work, lol).

I'm not too worried about hurting myself though, as I'm a cautious driver with common sense - I will not be testing 0-60 or driving it at top speed right when I get it.... (I know I'll never get near the top speed) MSF courses, helmet, taking it slow, yada yada all that goes hand in hand with anything risky like motorcycles...

Last edited by ZX6-R; 08-09-2008 at 08:16 AM.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:35 AM
1st Gear Member

personally i think that the 250 is too small for a first bike. i do really like the look of it and all. but my cousin's wife has an 08 and she is already wishing she had a 600 (just imagine if she bought the CBR125 last year LOL). the 250 is GREAT because it is very light and easy to manipulate but i would recommend the exact bike that you are lookin for. the sliders you are talking about are a very good idea, they are GREAT in the instance of a tip over and help when sliding down the road (hopefully that never happens). in summary, if you are cautious and not throttle happy the 600 would prove to be your best bet on a beginner bike...in my opinion. that's what i started on and i wouln't ride anything else

Old 08-10-2008, 08:34 AM

Thanks! I was thinking that that would be the case. Only, after so many times of reading "never get a 600+cc supersport as your first bike" in articles I began to second guess myself... lol. I'm leaning towards new, simply because of assurance of quality, but will be looking at used in the meantime in case I find a bike in great condition. (I won't be able to buy new until next May ).

Old 08-13-2008, 12:34 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

If you live in an area with a tot of twisty roads, I'd defiitely recommend the new 250 Ninja as a first bike. If you ride two up a lot, then I'd recommend the 600. The new 250 is a great looking bike and wit a couple of mods like a jet kit and exhaust, you can get a bunch of more power. My friends had M4 make an exhaust for the new 250 and got an extra 10 HP! Plus it only weighs 350 lbs and get 60 mpg. It can be a very enjoyable bike especially in the twisties and really, how often are you gonna go over 100 mph? Where I live it's all flat and straight roads so a 250 might get boring if you're into stoplight to stoplight drag races or top speed shootouts. I'd definitely consider a 250 as your first bike. Plus you'll learn a lot more about handling and leaning on a smaller bike without the worry of spinning the rear wheel due to the power of the bigger 600 bike. Or, you can try the 500R Ninja. The great thing about getting a used bike is that you don't have to pay a whole lot for them and as a first bike, if you drop or crash it (heaven forbid), you won't feel too bad about the damages and cost. And if you really don't like it, you can always sell it for what you paid for it. Most new 600's drop in value at an average of $3K as soon as you drive it off the dealer lot.

See, you have a lot of options

Last edited by speedracer138; 08-13-2008 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:43 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I recommend a used 250 or 500R especially if you are a new rider and live and ride near twisty roads. I have friends who race 600's and they also endurance race the 250 ninja and they love the 250. And if you get a used one, you won't feel too bad about the damage & cost if you happen to drop it.

Last edited by speedracer138; 08-13-2008 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:57 AM

Hmm... I live in downtown Nashville, so... not so much on the twisties. I know where there are some, though. Right now, I have yet to find a used ZX6-R for less than $5k, except for a couple at $2,800 that are beat up.

At the moment, I've got a 2003 Honda CBR600 F4i that someone is willing to sell me for about what I am looking for. Is anyone familiar with that bike? I know it's not a Kawi, but I'm not ruling everything out... I prefer the looks of the ZX6-R and the performance is better, but I can't find one at the same deal as the F4i... (Roughly the same price & 2001-2004).

If I had $11k cash right now I know what I'd be doing... I'll have that much easily within 5-6 months, but waiting...

Last edited by ZX6-R; 08-15-2008 at 02:01 AM.