Key/Filler Cap issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 04:50 AM
Default Key/Filler Cap issues

Not sure if it's my key or my filler cap lock. The key looks fine and works fine in the ignition, but my filler cap really doesnt like it for some reason. Sometimes ill sit at the gas station for like 5 minutes trying to get the thing to open. It goes in fine, and I can start to turn it but it catches hard on something. Ive put some graphite in the lock and made sure that the key is not twisted at all, but it still does it. Sometimes when I jam the key in hard and kinda do it all in one swift motion it will work first try, but I usually have to keep taking out the key and re-inserting it to hopefully hit the sweet spot or something. Once the lock actually turns all the way and the cap is open I have no problem continuing to move it from closed to open unless I take the key out and try to do it again...so I dont think it's actually catching anything on the lip of the filler area...not metal shavings or anything. Ive checked all the other moving parts and they are all clean, non coroded and move freely. Curious if anyone else has had thing problem or what they think it might be. Thanks

Old 08-17-2010, 05:22 AM
1st Gear Member

I have had the same problem, lock dried out and stopped moving freely. 3in1 oil worked for me but I had to soak it inside and out, and it still left a little catch.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:59 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I like to push down on the cap just abit when I turn the key. (the key is more fragile than the cap) It seems to relieve some of the tension of the locking mechanism and allows it to "pop" open. good luck

Old 08-17-2010, 09:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dragone#19
I like to push down on the cap just abit when I turn the key. (the key is more fragile than the cap) It seems to relieve some of the tension of the locking mechanism and allows it to "pop" open. good luck
+1 this was the solution for many bikes I have had.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:39 PM

Thanks for the replies. Ive tried pushing the cap with little luck cause I thought it was a good idea also...lame. I was hesitant to use a wet lubricant because at least in door locks when the lube starts to dry out it gums up and can cause more issues but Ill give it a shot...I just dont feel like spending the money to have a new filler cap cylinder keyed to my OEM key. Ill let u guys know. Thanks

Old 08-17-2010, 10:42 PM

I guess another question might be does anyone know of any aftermarket replacement caps that dont require a key...I know they are less secure obviously, but of all the guys I ride with Im the only one that needs a key to open it. My buddy with the Honda Repsol has a quick 1/4 turn spring loaded one...not sure if it was factory or not, but it works good for him.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:00 AM
1st Gear Member

heh, I saw a bike with a screw on cap welded to the top of it...it was probably stolen. I know there are some replacements out there dunno where to find them tho. The stockers are easy to remove as I recall so you shouldnt have a problem.