Kawazaki Ninja ZX6r as a first bike after 20 years.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 11:42 AM
1st Gear Member

I have to say i am curious to know what you get. Are you looking at other makes such as yamaha or suzuki or ducati perhaps? lots of choices out there but i think the best reviews come from people who really own them... do let us know though....

Old 07-01-2009, 09:32 PM
1st Gear Member

I ride a lot on weekends for 3-4 hours straight and the only thing that hurts a bit are my buttchicks!!! Ace, try not to put all your weight on the handlebars cause your wrists, arms and shoulders will start to hurt! try sitting up a little more straight and you will see a huuuuuge difference!

to the OP: i have an 06 zx6r,$ it's my first bike ever and i love it. you said you used to ride so maybe you remember a little how to ride. just take it easy and you will be addicted to riding in no time

Old 07-02-2009, 02:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cenzo89
I ride a lot on weekends for 3-4 hours straight and the only thing that hurts a bit are my buttchicks!!! Ace, try not to put all your weight on the handlebars cause your wrists, arms and shoulders will start to hurt! try sitting up a little more straight and you will see a huuuuuge difference!

to the OP: i have an 06 zx6r,$ it's my first bike ever and i love it. you said you used to ride so maybe you remember a little how to ride. just take it easy and you will be addicted to riding in no time
Oh yeah ur right about that, I get home from work, get into my riding gear and head out for an hour run or so.... EVERYDAY!!! Its addictive. Also, I'm trying to get 600 miles on the bike so I can get my first service done and make my 5 hours trip to upstate NY. Sorry about taking this thread off topic

Old 07-02-2009, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by wssjr67
I’m 41, mature, 6 Ft., 210 lbs., enjoy sports, and I was wondering after two decades of not riding would anyone recommend a ZX6R? If not what would be your recommendation?
Yes Yes and Yes!

I'm 45 started riding when I was 12 and quit at 16 thanks to my parents, when the mid-life started a few months ago I went out and bought a Suzuki Sv650 as it was rated as a great starter bike, and it was but it was torqui as hell and handled like crap.

I traded it in for an 09 ZX6R and a good friend of mine that's been riding for a few years and is 48 who owns an 08 ZX14 said "It's about time", he was right about the SV being a great starter to get back on a bike but was totally right about the Kawi.

The bike handles like a dream, you want to go left it goes left, you want to stop it stops, the shifting is flawless and the nice extras like the steering damper and electronics that actually give you information like a gear position indicator without having to buy an aftermarket one is phenomenal!

I think that you feel the way I do, you're too young for a Harley!

Enjoy the ride!

Miguel

Old 07-02-2009, 02:57 PM
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by exalted512
I wouldnt see a problem with it. Just make sure you start out slow, these things will do 80 mph in first gear...and they do it quick. Throttle control will be your best friend. Just make sure you sit on one and youre comfortable.
-Cody
Thank you Cody

Old 07-02-2009, 03:10 PM

As of this second I will be purchasing a 05-08 Ninja. One of a few reason I choose this bike is remembering way back (yeah way back) when I was a kid seeing a “Super Bright Red Ninja” in the parking lot of a grocery store and telling myself WOW!! I want that. Times have changed, money has a different value, and the color red is not my color, lol.
The 05-09 Ninja’s has a very aggressive, good quality, kick butt look. If they had the same body structure and only 50HP I would still get one because they look real good. So it’s not mainly about HP it’s also about style. And so far the Kawasaki Ninja has allot of what I’m looking for in a bike.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:14 PM

First time I heard that”?” Anything else negative I should know about?

Old 07-02-2009, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by hoedogg
pfft paaaalease.
Originally Posted by lombana
Yes Yes and Yes!

I'm 45 started riding when I was 12 and quit at 16 thanks to my parents, when the mid-life started a few months ago I went out and bought a Suzuki Sv650 as it was rated as a great starter bike, and it was but it was torqui as hell and handled like crap.

I traded it in for an 09 ZX6R and a good friend of mine that's been riding for a few years and is 48 who owns an 08 ZX14 said "It's about time", he was right about the SV being a great starter to get back on a bike but was totally right about the Kawi.

The bike handles like a dream, you want to go left it goes left, you want to stop it stops, the shifting is flawless and the nice extras like the steering damper and electronics that actually give you information like a gear position indicator without having to buy an aftermarket one is phenomenal!

I think that you feel the way I do, you're too young for a Harley!

Enjoy the ride!

Miguel
Well Said thank you

Old 07-02-2009, 11:15 PM
1st Gear Member

i have a '98 zx6r and an '07. the '98 is more comfortable, handles ok. brakes suck, although that could be my fault. the '07 is less comfortable but handles and stops like a dream. the gear indicator is a GREAT idea and should be on all bikes IMO. i just wish that they started putting the steering dampers on in '07 and not '09. i think that if i bought another bike it would be an '05 636. they are by far the coolest looking bikes out there, lots of power and reasonably comfortable...for a sportbike. but GREEN is the fastest colour, so i would get green again lol. good luck in your search and don't forget to let us know what u get.