k&N or BMC??!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 08:33 PM
Default RE: k&N or BMC??!!

Yeah dont take it the wrong way, im no mechanic, it just doesnt seem right, JMO

as for setting the throttle to zero, thats common with the PC. 0 represents the closed position on the throttle, as u twist the throttle the numbers increase until u reach WOT.(wide open throttle) Most of the time it is off by so little u wont even need to adjust, but if you have to adjust its only a 2 min job. That wont make the flames!!!

and as for the chrome tips, your on your own with that, i have no clue still doesnt sound right, but thats JMO "no clue"

Wish ya all the luck!!!! agian, i was just lookin out for ya

Old 02-23-2006, 08:36 PM

oh by the way, the install of the PC is very simple, its all plug n play so u dont have to be certified to install it or load the map. Now if your doing a custom dyno map then you need to know all you s h i t. lol

I think the hardest part is getting your tank to stay up lol ( i should have taken it off lol)

Old 02-23-2006, 08:52 PM

cool, thanks alot gotrice, yeah he is certified for custom mapping, i really appreciate the time you took to answer my questions... Do you think it could cause major damage to the bike if i keep riding it like that? Cause i asked the mechanic and he said it is perfectly fine, but on the other hand he could be trying to cover up a lie (i doubt it but you never know). Thanks again

Old 02-23-2006, 09:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Actually I believe flames mean theres is a excess amount of fuel....and the flames are the exhaust burning it off.

Old 02-23-2006, 09:10 PM

i know this might sound dumb txredbeckmedic, but is that bad? Or can it cause major damage to the bike? Thanks

Old 02-23-2006, 10:47 PM
1st Gear Member

It could be a bad thing in the long run as it could be causing damage to your exhaust pipe.

Old 02-23-2006, 11:50 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SAMCAR305

Thanks for the info. gotrice, the mechanic I took the bike to get worked on is one of the three certified mechanics in the state of Florida to install power commander, I called him up and told him my concern, he told me that my bike was dyno'ed and tuned percisely so it would run the best for top end, quarter mile, etc... He said that he set the throttle on the power commander at zero (whatever that means) and the reason it may be throwing blue flames at times is cause the exhaust tip is chrome, which causes (I guess) a reaction when it touches the fuel... Im gonna call some other mechanics i know to verify this info... It could be also that it's spanking brand new and i gotta break into the new settings...
If he said that word for word that statement is a lie. you cant have a bike tuned to run its best for top end and 1/4 mile they are 2 diff things and would require different maps. JMO

Old 05-13-2008, 02:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Do you BMC'ers recommend the race or street filter? I dont really plan on track days and mainly street riding/sport "touring" aka casual long rides. Which one for those?

Old 05-13-2008, 04:44 PM
1st Gear Member

flames out your tail pipe is pretty common with a slip on , and he has a full exhaust now , if you dont have a cat then your really gonna be shooting some flames. it shoots flames b.c unburnt fuel goes passed your combustion chamber and into your hot exhaust which ignites it and shoots flames out your pipe.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:02 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Do the KLEEN Mod and it should stop backfiring/ shooting flames out the exhaust. We ended up blowing a Carbon Fiber Muffler on the racebike from the backfiring. As far as the BMCand K&N filters; they are of the same or similar construction (Gauze sandwiched between wire mesh)except the way the pleats run. I believeone runs horizontally and the other vertically. Someone mentioned they are made by the same company.

Quick Reply: k&N or BMC??!!