k&N or BMC??!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 05:40 PM
Default k&N or BMC??!!

Hows everybody? Hope all ya'll had a safe but fun weekend! I am debating on which air filter is better for an 06 zx6r?
People tell me BMC is one of the best and it's just a little more money, others tell me K&N would be the right choice, can anybody give me any insight on this dillema?! Thanks

Old 02-22-2006, 09:17 PM
Default RE: k&N or BMC??!!

Go with BMC, they offer a standard or a race filter and they are more expensive than the K&N but they are better. Go to indysuperbike.com and get it!

Old 02-23-2006, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

People tell me BMC is one of the best and it's just a little more money, others tell me K&N would be the right choice, can anybody give me any insight on this dillema?! Thanks

I couldn't find anything to show a direct BHP comparison between the two for a motorcycle. But for a Honda S2000 ( sorry bad word ) there is a 7.8 BHP ( bulk horse power ) gain in the K & N, and only a 3 BHP in the BMC. Personally I run a K & N in most of my vehicles and never had a complaint.. I guess it comes down to personal preference. If anyone knows why one is better than the other with actual HP #'s for a Kawasaki, that would be great to know.....

Old 02-23-2006, 08:58 AM

K&N in all my vehicles as well.

Old 02-23-2006, 02:45 PM

K & N is the way to go with vehicles, BMC is the way to go with motorcycles, and atv's.... I don't know technical details on them, but all the shops I visit, as well as actual racing mechanics advise to go with the BMC...

Old 02-23-2006, 04:46 PM

Good looking out on the info. guys, I went with the BMC air filter, also got my yoshi carbon fiber full exhaust installed, and power commander. What a difference!!!!! My lower gears are so much smoother, and the exhaust is loud as &*@$! My friend saw blue flames coming out from the exhaust while i was riding it from the shop

Old 02-23-2006, 05:01 PM

not sur blue flames are a good thing for the bike, may look cool, but not good lol

Old 02-23-2006, 05:41 PM

<-- agress w gotrice! not good!

Old 02-23-2006, 06:44 PM

that would indicate a very VERY lean running engine. get it checked out asap

Old 02-23-2006, 08:14 PM

Thanks for the info. gotrice, the mechanic I took the bike to get worked on is one of the three certified mechanics in the state of Florida to install power commander, I called him up and told him my concern, he told me that my bike was dyno'ed and tuned percisely so it would run the best for top end, quarter mile, etc... He said that he set the throttle on the power commander at zero (whatever that means) and the reason it may be throwing blue flames at times is cause the exhaust tip is chrome, which causes (I guess) a reaction when it touches the fuel... Im gonna call some other mechanics i know to verify this info... It could be also that it's spanking brand new and i gotta break into the new settings...

Quick Reply: k&N or BMC??!!