installing sprockets questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 10:20 AM
Default installing sprockets questions

my sprockets should be coming in any day now, and i have a question- if ive never done tha sprockets before, should i just have a shop do it or is it doable by myself?- im pretty good with car and bike mechanics, but ive never done this before- ive heard its pretty easy to do tha front one but unsure about tha rear?- shop or no shop- thats my question

if it matters- im going one smaller in tha front and 2 bigger for tha rear- and i have a new chain also

-Thanks-

Old 02-06-2006, 04:28 PM
Default RE: installing sprockets questions

Changing the sprockets is not very hard, mainly it is just the rear wheel removal to get to the rear sprocket. The chain could cause you a problem if you don't have a chain tool. I don't think the stock chain has a master link and you will need a chain breaker. Also depending on what chain you purchased, you may also need a chain riveting tool. The chain tool I purchased ran just shy of $100., so you have to add that into the cost of doing it yourself or farming it out to have it done.

Mike

Old 02-06-2006, 07:27 PM

The only snag I had was the front sprocket and all I had to do was go to my neighbors and borrow with impact wrench. It took about an hour start to finish, not hard at all. You don't need to take the bike to a shop. Not having a chain tool isn't that big an issue, unless you are wanting to save the chain. If you aren't then just use a dremel with a cutting wheel or some other form of cutting device to cut a link on the stock chain. Or you can get a link breaker for about 20 bucks,,,

Old 02-07-2006, 10:04 AM

thanks guys- ok i talk to some others also- and its was tha same thing as you guys said- easy but rear wheel a pain and will need a tool to do tha chain- i went by my shop and they said that they would do it for 50 to 70 bucks depending on tha time- does that sound fine to just have them do it and be done with everything or should i buy tha tool and duke it out myself?

Old 02-07-2006, 03:14 PM

personally I would do it myself ad spend the money on another mod... It's not that hard to do, as long as you have a rear swingarm stand that is....

Old 02-07-2006, 05:05 PM

If the shop is only going to charge 50 to 70 bucks, might as well have them do it. I have always been a do it my self type of guy but I am a wrench by trade (heck, I even mount and balance my own tires). When it comes to installing the master link correctly and cutting the chain to the correct length, buying the chain rivet/braker tool, finding someone with an impact gun for the front sprocket, removing the rear wheel, readjusting the chain.....$70.00 is a good deal plus you won't get greasy.

Mike

Old 02-07-2006, 06:20 PM

if your worried about getting grese on you, you dont sound like too much of a do-it-yourself person. what they are saying is instead of giving the shop the money for a very simple mod, spend that money on tools that you will have in your tool box... u never know when u will need to pull that chain off agian, and then you will be right back at the shop spending another $70..... IMO

Old 02-07-2006, 06:32 PM

do it yourself

Old 02-08-2006, 03:47 AM

thanks guys- ok we did it at my friends house, he had tha tools- that damn bolt on tha front sprocket took forever to break!!! but all in all its finally done- i did down one front and up two rear- great difference in performance- open throttle 1st gear picks right up- it may pick up for you guys on a stock bike with no problem, but im pretty heavy so i needed that extra kick-