Installing Power Commander

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 05:26 AM
Default Installing Power Commander

I'm in the process of installing my PC along with some other mods. (Yosh exhaust, K&N filter, and fender eliminator kit by Competition Werkes) But the instructions from powercommander.com SUCK!!

So since I'm installing my exhuast, I have the tail fairing removed. Has anyone else had a pain in the @ss removing the the screw bolting down the gas tank to the frame near the handlebars? I'm trying to take it off but I'm affraid I'll strip it more than I already have.

How big of a pain was the rest of the work? Let me know. thanks.

Old 01-13-2006, 06:01 AM
Default RE: Installing Power Commander

I didn't have any problem with that bolt. Make sure you remove the larger ones from each side of the fuel tank.

The PCIII instructions are not the best but read them closely and everything will work out fine. Pay real close attention to the color of the injector wires they want you to remove. The injector connectors were a bitch to remove, I think I had to use a small pair of needle nose to unclip them.

Also, after the PCIII is installed, use the CD they provided and download it into your computer. You should take your time and do the tutorials on the CD to learn how to down load and up load programs. You will also have to zero the throttle opening with a computer hooked up to the PCIII, if you don't the PCIII will not know where 0 throttle opening is and the bike will run poorly.

Just take your time and learn as you go. If you have any other questions, just YELL.

Mike

Old 01-13-2006, 06:07 AM

YELLING!!! LOL

That bolt is giving me hell dude. I just tried it again and stripped it just a little more. How tight was it when you removed it? I'm getting the feeling that my dealership might have tighted it down too tight when they put the bike together.

What tight of tool did you use? An allen wrench of course, but did you use it in conjuction with a ratchet?

Old 01-13-2006, 06:21 AM

I am a tech at a Chevrolet dealer, so I use Snap-On tools. I have a set of allen sockets that I use with a ratchet. Some of the cheaper grade allen wrenches are soft or do not fit as tight and will round out the allen bolts. If you can't get the bolt out, you may have to use a drill and drill the head off the bolt. With the tank raised, you should be able to use vice grips or such to remove the remainder of the bolt.

Stay calm,
Mike

Old 01-13-2006, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: arrowwhead

YELLING!!! LOL

That bolt is giving me hell dude. I just tried it again and stripped it just a little more. How tight was it when you removed it? I'm getting the feeling that my dealership might have tighted it down too tight when they put the bike together.

What tight of tool did you use? An allen wrench of course, but did you use it in conjuction with a ratchet?
hey bro i work with car too, and the size of that allen is alttle odd.... all my tools are snap on as well and i had to buy that allen just for the bike.... i never had to use it for anything else... your best bet and before you really damage the bolt, you should go the a shop and have them losen it or do the work for you... cause if you don't have the right size allen your gonna be hating life after the bolt are totally striped.... good luck bro...

Old 01-13-2006, 04:33 PM

Arrowwhead,

If the bolt is loctited in, some heat will help in removal, but the bolt is too close to the plastic tank cover to really do this. If the bolt is just too tight, then you could take a metal punch and hammer and wack the top of the bolt head (I would just put the allen socket in the bolt and hit the socket (Don't tell the Snap-On dealer)). This could free it up. I think the bolt you are trying to remove is a shouldered bolt, so it just may be in there tight. If the head is completely stripped, another solution would be to weld a nut to the top of the bolt with a mig welder. Covering up the bike parts is a must to keep the hot metal slag from damaging the paint and plastic parts. By welding a nut to the bolt, the heat will usually free up the loctite or expand the bolt and contract as the metal cools off, thus making the bolt easier to remove.

Man, I wish you lived closer to me, I would help you out.

Mike

Old 01-13-2006, 11:58 PM
1st Gear Member

I think this is the second or third post I have read that someone is haveing trouble with the allen head bolts. To think of it I think I had a hard time finding the right size to remove my tail. But I'm no expert by any means. I feel for you bro, the only thing I can suggest is make sure you have the right size allen it not it's only going to make things worse.

Old 01-14-2006, 12:08 AM

Ok, so I was able to get the bolt off.

Are there clips holding the tank down? I give a pretty good tugg on the tank to get i up, but it doesn't want to move. Something in there is holding it down, but I cant see it. Is is jsut a clip? I don't want to pull too much hard for fear of breaking somehthing. let me know. Thanks for the help fellas!

Old 01-14-2006, 02:14 AM

NO CLIPS HOLD IT DOWN!!!!!!

MAKE SURE:

1 YOU HAVE BOLT BY TRIPLE TREE REMOVED
2 BOLT ON EITHER SIDE OF RIGHT BELOW YOUR TANK. THEY ARE BLK AND HAVE FAT BLAck WASHERS. DONT LOOSE THE WASHERS.
3 YOUR SEAT HAS TO BE OFF.

If you have done all three of these then your tank will lift up really really easy!!!

Old 01-14-2006, 02:23 AM

Gotrice is right,

Remove the seat/side panels and remove the two bolts and plastic washers (one on each side of the tank).

Also, I did not remove the fuel tank completely, I use a block of wood to hold it up enought to make the required connections.

Mike

ORIGINAL: arrowwhead

Ok, so I was able to get the bolt off.

Are there clips holding the tank down? I give a pretty good tugg on the tank to get i up, but it doesn't want to move. Something in there is holding it down, but I cant see it. Is is jsut a clip? I don't want to pull too much hard for fear of breaking somehthing. let me know. Thanks for the help fellas!

Quick Reply: Installing Power Commander