how to do an OIL change?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 12:58 AM
Default RE: how to do an OIL change?

Curiosity Question ---

I want to know what oil everyone recommends for the 05 636.
i am thinking REPSOL 4t 10w40

is this the best or what do you think??

Old 01-11-2007, 02:24 AM
The Dude
1st Gear Member

Just in case no one has said it. When you pull off the old filter make sure the o ring is on the filter. They sometimes like to stick to the bike. If you leave the old o ring on and put the new filter on it could be bad. Once the bike is warmed up and the presure builds it will leak/shoot oil out.

Old 01-11-2007, 02:25 AM
The Dude
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Remo

kazerotor-- I have a service manual for our bikes, let me know if you are interested in one and I will send it to you
You got one on pdf? I have a service man for an 05-06 ninja zx6r/rr but i couldn't find one for 03-04.

Old 01-11-2007, 04:21 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I have one for an 03 but the quality isn't the greatest. How and where do I upload it? I wish we couldmake it available in the technical section.

Old 01-11-2007, 06:49 PM
The Dude
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: speedracer138

I have one for an 03 but the quality isn't the greatest. How and where do I upload it? I wish we couldmake it available in the technical section.
If you want i can give you my email to email it to me. I am not sure what the file size it.

Old 01-11-2007, 07:19 PM

Ditto on most everything above. I've changed my oil/filter many manytimes. I tend to change it too much ... but who cares its my baby.

A couple of things I've found that help.

The oil filter is above the pipes. When I took my first couple of filters off it poured oil all over the pipes ... and it didn't matter how good I wiped it off, it would still smoke some when they heated up.
So, I started taking aluminum foil and lay it over the pipes; then ... most importantly ... I would form the aluminum foil so it had a little trough which allows the oil to drain out of the filter (or if you spill some) and the hole, on to the aluminum foil ... and into the oil catch pan. ... no oil on my pipes ... at all if I'm careful. ( and I pull the foil off through the gap between the pipes so I don't wipe any off as I'm removing the foil - allowing it to drip into the catch pan) ... this is probably an **** approach but I hate messes when it can be prevented.

As far as putting oil in the new filter; I've never done that. But I make sure the fill cap is very loose allowing air to escape or vent as the bike drains. Then when I fill it I leave the cap loose for a short while after I've poured all the oil in. This helps allow the oil fill all the cracks and crevasses and the filter. I've never had a problem. ... ??? so far.

I agree this is not a complicated job. You'll find shortcuts and better methods the more changes you do.

Also, I always use my torque wrench to put the drain bolt back in. I live in fear of stripping that thing out.

Old 01-19-2007, 07:37 AM

Does my bike have two oil filters? An internaland external one? Why didnt the guy that sold me the internal one say anything about the other one?Does anyone know a site I can download the 95-97 zx6rrepair manual from? Thanks.

Old 01-19-2007, 06:32 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MotoR6xz

Does my bike have two oil filters? An internaland external one? Why didnt the guy that sold me the internal one say anything about the other one?Does anyone know a site I can download the 95-97 zx6rrepair manual from? Thanks.
When i had my 96 the model of oil filter that Autozone's book had listed for my bike was not the right oil filter for my bike. I took the old one off first and had a guy at the counter cross-reference the part number and then they came up with the right filter for me. I'll look around and see if i can find what the number was.