Heavy right side on 05 636? Hard to turn?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Heavy right side on 05 636? Hard to turn?

Alignment comes to mind but also rider experience. A sport bike is a complete different animal as compared to a cruiser bike. You made just need more riding experience to get used to it.

Old 07-30-2007, 06:33 PM

I appreciate everyones comments, and no one was an *** hole, which is a nice change on the Internet. I think I probably do just need ALOT more riding experience, and I also agree that it is awkward going into a right hand turn, because your right arm of course retracts life your left would, except for the difference that your wrist automatically tends to want to rotate downward a tad, and so you have to be concentrating to keep thethrottle steady as well as the bike itself. I know this seems downright sinful to mention, but what do you guys think your driving quality would be like with a Thumb lever as your throttle? Just wondering if a firmer accuracy on the right hand would give more balance and sense of control while dipping into a turn.

I'm glad one of you enjoyed the Paris Hilton joke! I felt pretty genius for that comment.

I am going to try the adjusting on the front suspension idea to make sure both forks are equally dampened. That sounds like a very logical start. I really love my bike, and need to show you guys some pictures. I bought it with only 1,500 miles on it, and it has never been damaged in any way, and has had the wheels and swing arm chromed. Stickers are removed, so it's just a lot of green and chrome. Not too much chrome. The front tire cover area by the forks has also been chrome plated on either side where it was originally flat black plastic. I thought this would look really tacky in person but it's actually pretty dang awesome, and looks very clean all together. Akrapovic exhaust on the back, soon to be Hot Bodies since I have no rear turn signals at the moment, and I don't want an aftermarket tail lamp to get my turn signals....

The comment about Nascar........I simply hate Nascar, so I can only agree with you...

I appreciate everyones comments, and for logical explanations that everyone has given. I'll play around with settings, and give myself a good bit more riding time before casting any judgement, and I pray that I don't hit the ground as part of my learning experience. Maybe I need a dirt bike for a while so I don't mind sliding non painted plastic on the ground as bad as I do a brand new paint job (basically the paint job is brand new, since the bike is virtually barely broken in)...[/align]

Old 07-30-2007, 07:22 PM
1st Gear Member

If it's your first bike then there's your problem. A car or even an ATV is not in anyway comparable to pushing a bike, the characteristics of pushing each vehicle to it's limits are FAR different. I've driven cars hard, and my little 250 still scares me more than driving a 400 hp Audi S4 through rush hour traffic at 130 mph or doing 170 mph down a tight forested country road in a F355. Honestly, I look down upon everyone who makes the rash decision to buy a 600 as a beginner bike, absolutely foolish. A bike capable of it's speed and sharp aggreessive handling characteristics is not a bike which you are to learn from, it's dangerous.

Old 07-31-2007, 07:51 PM

Are you using the front brake at slow speeds and turning?

Old 08-01-2007, 07:42 AM

ORIGINAL: Mott Power

If it's your first bike then there's your problem. A car or even an ATV is not in anyway comparable to pushing a bike, the characteristics of pushing each vehicle to it's limits are FAR different. I've driven cars hard, and my little 250 still scares me more than driving a 400 hp Audi S4 through rush hour traffic at 130 mph or doing 170 mph down a tight forested country road in a F355. Honestly, I look down upon everyone who makes the rash decision to buy a 600 as a beginner bike, absolutely foolish. A bike capable of it's speed and sharp aggreessive handling characteristics is not a bike which you are to learn from, it's dangerous.

First off, the drift from your response can only be explained as c0cky[:@], or ignorant(rude). Now I feel I must pull out the ruler.

This conversation had, and has nothing to do with pushing a bike to it's maximum limits, even though I gave meaning that I could push other vehicles to their limits, but was having a problem getting used to the bike. A Ferrari F355 is one of the most terrible choices for a car to push hard down a windy road when compared to other and cheaper makes/models in existence. A lot of Ferrari is about heritage, and not always doing things to match it's price tag. A 355 is Very tail happy, and for more information simply read or watch reviews of the 355 or 360. Cars are my thing, so we don't need to go there. Now an E46 BMW M3 (01-07...until the 08 replaces the old body in M form, the old is still created) feels as solid at 174 (personal experience) than a Nissan Pathfinder at 90, and that's the honest to goodness truth. The little 3.2 liter will pull 189 fresh off the show room floor, and that 50/50 weight distribution is a very positive thing on the twistys. I would think the S4 would be more solid on a winding road than a 355, being the Audi is a quattro only beast.

Looking down on someone for purchasing a 600, and suggesting something in the range of 250 doesn't seem too brilliant either when looking at weight differences between the bikes. The only thing that could possibly make a 600 more dangerous than a smaller bike would be the dumby hitting the throttle too hard in or coming out of a turn. I was discussing weight distribution and turning in general, with no power to the ground at all, and I don't think a more precise suspension on a 600 would make for amore dangerous ride when compared to aless precise suspension on a 250. Also, the weight being so similar on a 250 makes me wonder if it isn't race inspired, and possible that it has even more top heaviness than the 600, thus making the 250 in fact a more dangerous bike. The explanation you gave was almost like telling someone that taking the same turn at the same speed would be safer in an SUV than in a BMW M.

Kawasaki's web site is a bit harder to maneuver for specs on models, so I will explain some from the suzuki web site. A 500 weighs 396 pounds dry. A GZ250 weighs 302 pounds, and a Ninja ZX-636cc model bike weighs in at I believe 346 pounds, but I could almost guarantee a better handling suspension, regardless of the possible "knifes edge" feel it may induce over a 250 cruiser type. A Suzukie SV650 weighs 363 pounds. GSX-R600 = 357 pounds. GSX-R750 = 361 pounds. GSX-R1000 = 379 Pounds. 2008 Hayabusa 1340cc engine = 485 pounds.

You may look down on someone who purchases a new experience with power, but I tend to look down on the person that assumes no one can be civil with handling the power given. It's almost like a woman with a guilty conscience always accusing the boy friend or husband of cheating or trying to find another woman, because it is in fact she that has the problem with temptation and wrong doing in that department, but this cant be assumed toward everyone. The only way a 600 could be more dangerous than any other 2 wheeled object, would be up to the man or woman with the mind over it's throttle. I seriously doubt a 250 has a suspension more capable of safe maneuvering overa larger CC sport model, unless the person driving cannot control themselves to respect the machinery at hand. I've been sick for 2 years and trapped in my house, and damn it I bought what I wanted . I pray I can use the power wisely, and not be like a child trying to see what something's breaking point is. I'm sure it is a strong possibility I may be stupid one day, but I'm trying to hold a good head on my shoulders.

To everyone else, I have gotten a lot better with the bike in the past few days, and I am really enjoying it. I don't think I can feel any obvious difference when turning one direction over the other, and I may have just been so pissed "off" and pissed "on" from dropping the bike when trying to park, and then not finding right hand side parts(just a foot peg...bady panels are all good. Frame sliders work.....), that I wanted reason to explain why I would have lost balance basically standing still. I was not only aggravated, but I don't want to wreck this bike (of course), and if this were something well known about the 636 and I needed to get a different brand bike with lower center of gravity, I knew the questions could be answered here. I appreciate everyones responses (except for someone telling someone they have never seen that they cant handle an object with power), and after riding the past few days I am sorry for ever doubting or putting the bike down (verbally....well, and physically.) It feels well balanced, and I'm getting a fairly strong comfort zone now, but of course not so much to go to it's limits or act stupid (although I have a problem with a heavy right wrist when the road straightens up[:-]). I hope that all goes well, and again I appreciate your responses, and hope you all will be watchful/careful when riding. [/align]

Old 08-01-2007, 08:08 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Glad that things are fitting in place then for your comfort level.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:54 PM
1st Gear Member

(although I have a problem with a heavy right wrist when the road straightens up[:-]).

I think we all have this problem...[sm=guilty.gif]

+1 on the 250 vs 600... my first bike was an older zx6r... as long as you have self discipline you'll be fine starting out on a 600 series bike. I know a bunch of people who have made a 600 their first bike and some of them are F$%^ing morons who can't control themselves and they're still alive...

Old 08-01-2007, 01:59 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: afboundguy

(although I have a problem with a heavy right wrist when the road straightens up[:-]).

I think we all have this problem...[sm=guilty.gif]

+1 on the 250 vs 600... my first bike was an older zx6r... as long as you have self discipline you'll be fine starting out on a 600 series bike. I know a bunch of people who have made a 600 their first bike and some of them are F$%^ing morons who can't control themselves and they're still alive...
if people didn't then they would probably all ride 250's
600 is my first and takingit easy on the gas works well for me, as well as putting it in a higher gear that puts the rpm bellow its powerband also helps soften the power of the 600

Old 08-01-2007, 07:04 PM
1st Gear Member

The reason I brought up pushing to the edge is because you mentioned it earlier about driving the crap out of ATV's and car's etc., so you should know that everyone vehicle has different charateristics when being pushed to the edge and should not consider that you should know how the bike will react because you have experience in other fields. Control is the most important aspect, people can ride 600's as a first bike, but I cannot count how many times I've seen crashes because someone who owns a crotch rocket and doesn't know how the bike will react under quick actions say if a car pulls in front of you, does not have the correct knowledge of how the bike will react given the bikes sharp throttle response and aggressive handling, if you don't know your bike then your instincts will not know how to react quickly. You should feel comfortable on the bike and in control over every aspect, something like a 250 is not nearly as intimidating and easier to control.

I was not trying to be cocky but rather say that I have pushed many things to the limit, and I still get a little more scared at times and feel slightly less in control on my bike. Like I said CONTROL is the most important thing, so yeah, it is a little smarter to buy a bike which is easier to learn on and more controlable, even an SV650 or 620 would be better. Instinct is crucial in a dangerous situation, if your instincts don't know how to react properly then it could get very ugly. There is a lot to learn when buy a crotch rocket as a first bike, and I only get defensive because I am trying to look out for fellow riders. It's not safe to start out on a bike like that. I am not bashing you in any way or anyone else here, merely looking out for your own safety and try to reason a more logical solution to you wanting to get into motorcycling.

EDIT: and my conversation has nothing to do with self discipline, you can be stupid on a 250 as well, that's more up to the person and I have faith that anyone who buys a 600 for a first bike knows that, at least here because you want to learn about the bike when joining a forum, not as much show off how fast your bike can take you. the point is whether you will feel comfortable on the bike when you find yourself in a bad place at the wrong time

Old 08-01-2007, 07:18 PM

Cool. I understand, and I appreciate your hope and true concern for safety, as I also am concerned about everyone being safeon their bikes. I hope I have the self control to keep it on it's tires, and not on it's side.

I want to go riding right now, but it's so hot that the grass hoppers even sound like they are crying... Never heard such a miserable sound from an insect like I'm hearing right now. Now that's when you know it's hot. I'll know for sure when I walk outside in a little while and see an obvious mass suicide mission pulled off by the grass hoppers and drowning in the swimming pool ...

Quick Reply: Heavy right side on 05 636? Hard to turn?