having issues with key lock

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 02:54 AM
The Dude
1st Gear Member
Default having issues with key lock

ok so here is the issue. when i put the key in the ignition it turns to the on postion fine the bike starts up great. now when i go to turn the bike off i use the kill switch then turn the key to lock the steering.this is where i have trouble. the key wont turn to the left. i can turn the key to the right to lock the steering and remove the key but that leaves the break light on. i just spent 10 min trying to remove the key. after fighting with it and tuning the key all the way to the right then trying to turn the key to the left if finaly let the key go all the way to the left. ive tried spraying lube in the key hole but it didnt help at all so im thinking the issue might not be the tumblers. any advice or help would be great.

Old 08-29-2007, 02:59 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: having issues with key lock

what year bike?

Old 08-29-2007, 03:25 AM
The Dude
1st Gear Member

sorry about that the bike is a 2004 636. the problum isnt so bad if im riding all day. i dont mind leaving the break light on for a hour or so leds dont use much power but when i park the bike at home i dont want to spend a half hour gettint the key out.

Old 08-29-2007, 03:41 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Do you have a bunch of keys attached to your keychain? The switch could be worn or maybe the key is worn or bent. Get a New key from the dealer. Give them the key code and they will cut a new one. Or try the spare if you have one.

Old 08-29-2007, 04:28 AM
The Dude
1st Gear Member

i dont have the key code. i do have one of the original keys. ill go to the dealer tomorrow have them order me a new key. ive gone to 3 diffrent lock smith places none of them have blank kawi keys.

Old 08-29-2007, 04:31 AM
The Dude
1st Gear Member

for as long as ive had the bike ive keep its key seprate. the triple clam has no scratchs so i dont think the prev owner kept a lot of keys on the key chain.

Old 08-29-2007, 04:58 AM
1st Gear Member

my friend has an old old old interceptor and he was having a key problem like yours and we just put a crap load of lube and giggled it for awhile and it was fine after that.

Old 08-29-2007, 06:07 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Might want to remove the ignition lock assembly and spray stuff in it while holding it upside down. There may be some dirt or a little debris in there so flush it out with some electrical parts cleaner and relube with Dri-Slide.

Old 08-29-2007, 06:11 AM
The Dude
1st Gear Member

dumb question how do i pull the lock cylinder? or do i remove the whole thing? if so ive never really thought about taking it off any tips on removing it?

Old 08-29-2007, 02:39 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I meant remove the whole switch assembly, turn it upside down so it can drain, stick the spray nozzle in the slot and flush it out/ spray away. Make sure to slide the little cover over so whatever crap is in there can come out.Use the electronic parts cleaner because of the circuit for the ignition power etc.

Quick Reply: having issues with key lock