Got rear ended yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 10:03 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Got rear ended yesterday

Yep, I got rear ended yesterday. I was at an intersection (Gandy, and 4TH st) at a red light getting ready to turn right, and screech wap. I was at a dead stop, break on, turn signal on. I heard tires squeal, looked in my mirror, and saw a Kia swerving to my right. In my head I thought "that's gonna hit you" as I was looking in my mirror at the car coming at me. I took my foot off the break, and put it up by the turn signal, then wap. The car hit my tire, slid up the right side, and hit my rear set. I got pushed off to the left, and hit the ground. So, for a second, I was laying there, I was thinking "I'm not hurt... Wow. OK get up, and see if everything works". I got up, and my left leg was sore from the bike hitting me, but otherwise OK. I did a little systems check of my self, legs work yep, arms work yep, any neck pain, do your teeth hurt, nope. all right. lets take off the helmet. Yea! I am not injured! Now I'm interested in the person the just hit beautiful 2006 ZX6R that I lovingly wash every week, and lavish with expensive gifts. I was adrenaline loaded, armed, and pissed. Out of the car comes a crying lady, who is literally falling down in sorrow that she hit me. The pissed off goes away, and I tell her that I am OK. The I ask the all important do you have insurance, which she dose (Yea). So, now the police show up. and he asks if I am alright, as soon as get yes out he goes to the lady that hit me, and gives her a verbal beating. Then he comes back to me tells me he has been riding for 30 years. Now the EMTs arrive the same time as the FD. I had just filled my tank, as I was planning to call Mike/ mikedrinfl who txted me the previous night to go riding.) They are freaking out my bike is leaking gas, and ask if they can pick it up, I ask the cop, he gives the OK, all this while the EMTs are giving me the once over. they deem me OK, and have me sign a release. Then like it was a race they, and the FD leave. Now it's just me, the lady who hit me, and two cops. One officer come over, and asks if I have a motorcycle endorsement, I tell him I do, then he asks for my license, and registration, no problem I give it up. After the police are done it's just me, and her. She asks what I want to do. I told her to call her insurance company, and we'll see what they say. She has Gieco, they sent a wrecker, towed to the nearest Kawasaki dealer, and gave me the claim info over the phone. We will have to see what the adjuster has to say Mon, or Tues. From the time the cops arrives 'till I was at the dealership took four and a half hours. The visible damage I could see is a broken right rear set, scuffed tire, a scuffed rear fairing right, and left, scratched left case cover, and my Shoei helmet. All in all I gotta say, if you don't have riding boots, get them. Mine saved my ankle, and foot. Always wear gloves mine saves my hands from sliding on the concrete. Always wear a helmet it saved me a concussion. The saying dress for the crash, not for the ride has a whole new meaning for me now. I now this has been long winded, I wanted to relate as much as I could, to the folks who have never been in an accident. Mike, sorry, I wasn't blowing you off I was dealing with the police when you called. We'll have to go another day... O, no pics yet I'll see if the dealer will let me Mon.

Old 04-08-2007, 10:41 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Got rear ended yesterday

Dang, shinobi! freakin' kias! lol Glad you're ok. Hopefully the insurance company won't mess with you on this.

Old 04-09-2007, 02:29 AM

Shinobi! That's aweful!Glad to hear you are ok.
Take into acount clothes, gear, time, and most importantly, the "pain and suffering aspect of it" My co-worker was in a similar situation and had to argue/barter with the insurance company because they were trying to give him nothing. I'm not saying "milk" the situation- just make sure you get what you feel is appropriate. He rec'd 3 offers before he acepted.

Old 04-09-2007, 04:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Glad you are ok man...in the end that is all that really matters! Sounds like you're getting some replacement fairings and gear! I'm glad she has insurance too!

Old 04-09-2007, 05:39 AM
1st Gear Member

SITTING AT A STOPLIGHT AND BEING REARENDED IS A FEAR OF MINE AND THE MIRRORS ON THE 636 SUCK ANYWAY. I'M GLAD YOUR SAFE. SOME THINGS YOU JUST HAVE NO CONTROL OVER. FOR CITY RIDINGMAYBE THAT REARVIEW HELMET MIGHT HELP.

Old 04-09-2007, 05:55 AM
1st Gear Member

good to hear ur alright, keep us updated on the damage report

Old 04-09-2007, 07:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Sorry to hear that bro good luck wit da insurance deal. I try to make it a habit to be ready to move when at stop lights, though sometimes there is nothing you can do. Sounds like ya got lucky man.

Old 04-09-2007, 03:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Damn that sucks Jason. Well we can ride another day. Just glad to hear you are all right. Let me know how you are feeling in a day or two when the adrenalin is gone and your body has a chancce to rest. That is usually when the soreness sets in. Let us knnow what they say about the bike. Good luck and give me a call if you need help with anything.

Old 04-09-2007, 07:13 PM

Glad you were not hurt worse man! BTW, did the woman have an excuse for her poor driving?? Was it putting on make up, talking on the cell, eating, or just squididity (insert stupidity)?? You should never rear end a person if you are paying attention, especially not a rider! Glad you are ok, good luck with the insurance end of it.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:15 PM
The Dude
1st Gear Member

Glad to hear your ok. When i had my acident my frame sliders saved me from really messing up my leg. After i went down i was still on the bike and my leg was inbetwen the ground and the bike. The slider gave me just enough room so the bike didn't land flat on my leg. Keep us updated on what happens with your bike.

Quick Reply: Got rear ended yesterday