full, slip-on, or leave it stock?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 11:03 AM
Default full, slip-on, or leave it stock?

i'm thinking about the exhaust system, and want to do an analysis about which i should go with, or should i just leave it stock?

i don't do much track racing, therefore mostly just riding around town, and the occasional speed crave on a open stretch.

how much weight do you shave off from a full exhaust system? and how much weight off from a slip on?

how much hp gain from full exhaust? and how much gain from a slip on?

any recommendations for the best bang for the buck on full systems and slip on's? (something that sounds good, but not too obnoxiously loud)

any other useful information you guys like to share would be appreciated.

and btw, how much hp & trq does the stock 05 636 dyno at anyways?

Old 10-04-2005, 01:10 PM
Default RE: full, slip-on, or leave it stock?

I don't remember the specifics anymore,but I do remember that by putting on my 2 bros pipe. I dropped like 8 pounds and picked up about 5 horse. Which is a significant amount, and I absolutely love the sound of the bike. I have be complemented many times that it is one of the best setups people have heard. I picked up my carbon system for $752, which is a little more than half of what a full system would cost. With a full system you might drop a little more weight. I thinkg that the HP gain with a full system is like 7 or 8 ponies total. Along those lines, I also remember reading somewhere that you will sacrifice torque with a full system. The reasoning for this is that Kawi spends alot of time and money on R&D for their headers.

According to two bros with their slip on an 05 636 should put to the ground 117.5 ponies, and 50.2 ft.lbs. of tq.

There are alot of choices out there, I and several others have the www.twobros.com system and love it. Do some homework and pick up a system you won't regret.

Old 10-04-2005, 06:47 PM
Default RE: full, slip-on, or leave it stock?

The stock setup works very well. It was just too quiet for me. Going with the full exhast system will save you the most weight (12 lbs), this is mainly because the cat converter is in the rear of the front header pipe. The slipon will save about 8 lbs. Remember, you will need to also add a Powercommander to make the bike run correctly with any exhaust change. This is another $250. to $350 dollar investment.

Mike