front sprocket ratio

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 05:40 AM
Default front sprocket ratio

i've had my bike for almost a year, but new to the mods. someone told me that if you put a front sprocket with fewer teeth, it would give more low end. i see most of you have a 1/2 front rear combo. i purchased a -2 for the front before i got on here. will that be suitable, or should i ditch that and get the -1/+2. i would appreciate the pros and cons from you guys, thanks

Old 09-11-2005, 06:06 AM
Default RE: front sprocket ratio

More acceleration, less top end is what it comes down to...

What most people don't mention though about doing sprockets seperately. Change the front sprocket only, gives you more accel. Changing the rear only, gives you more accel but will also bring the front up easier. Do em both and you're in for a treat, esp once you learn how to keep the fornt tire on the ground when you want it to be under hard accel, or up in the air as long as you want it to.

I did a -1/+2 and it made all the difference in the world, it really woke the bike up. I can give good chase with 04/05 litre bikes. Older litre bikes I can shock the hell out of em when they get passed by a 636

Old 09-11-2005, 06:12 AM

so just changing the front with a -2 wont really hurt anything, but the -1/+2 is a really good combo???
i guess i'll go ahead and put the -2 on for now, where can i get a good deal on a -1/+2 package??

Old 09-11-2005, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator

I have never put on -2 in the front and would recommend the previous statement of -1+2. I have and I am ridding this combination on my street bike right now, it rocks. If you get the -2 let us know how it works I am very curious.

Also there are no 636's rolling on my liter bike. LOL

Old 09-11-2005, 01:40 PM

The only people I know of that run a -2 ond the front are guys that are into stunting. I got my -1/+2 combo for like 95 bucks. I have joe sprockets (i think or something the like) front and a renthal rear.

One thing you have to realize about where I am from NON. Most of the bikes around here have about an inch and a half of chicken strips. Most are weekend cruisers and don't really know how to ride. Plus for every bike out there someone is on a ghetto cruised busa. It is kinda sad...

Old 09-11-2005, 02:13 PM

Wait a tick.. Mr moderator, I think you are on the wrong site anyway... the zx-7 page is the other way...lol

Old 09-12-2005, 01:25 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: ryninger

Wait a tick.. Mr moderator, I think you are on the wrong site anyway... the zx-7 page is the other way...lol
and after the 6th day he looked down upon what he had created and thought this is good.

The 7th day he went for a ride on some good twisties. lol

Old 09-12-2005, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

a -2 on the front will wear out your chain faster then normal.. that is pretty much the only down side to having -2 on the front...

but like said the best combo for the bike is -1/+2

Old 09-12-2005, 10:29 PM

well, got the -2 on the front and omfg. its like i bought a new bike!!! man its like 0-100 in like 0.2 secs.............anyway man it picks up in the low range. hard accel in 1 & 2 brings it on up. awesome..... i wanna change the back now, do you think a -2/+2 would go good or should i take the -2 off the front and get a -1???????

Old 09-12-2005, 11:44 PM

I think a -2 +2 would be too much, maybe like a +1 at most. or just get an aluminum replacement for stock, it is lighter so helps with accel. If you go with the -2+2 be sure to let us know how it responds but that front tire will never be on the ground under accel. I like that my bike comes up easy, but when I am running em on the street I would like for it to take less effort to keep my front tire down.

Quick Reply: front sprocket ratio