Freeing up extra HP on ZX6R

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 01:11 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Freeing up extra HP on ZX6R

I saw this post on another site and wanted to get your (members) opion. This is not from me, this is a quote form another site, I just want to make that clear. BUt read the post and tell what you think.

Ok well this is how you free up more horsepower in your 05-06 zx6r. Not too sure if it works on older models but go ahead and give it a try. Since the American noise emission requirements calls for 80db or less, the zx6r powervalve closes at high rpm. The result sounds is your bike making music all the way up to 13,000rpm then someone "chokes" it to death. The Europeans are lucky because they don't have any noise requirements. Therefore, the valve doesn't close. You could go out and buy a euro ecu for $200, but if you are like me and like to play around and don't want to spend that much; here's an easy way to get the euro setting, without voiding warranty, and without costing you a cent. Here's how to do it:

What you need, scissors, electrical tape, copper wire.

Heres what to do:

Underneath the rider seat is a four-pin electrical connector that is capped off. Look in your manual on how to remove it. Took me about 10 min to get the black plastic and seat off. Remove the cap and look at the color-coded wires attached to the junction box. Bridging the green/dark green and black/yellow wires catty corner in the connector defaults the ECU to European spec. I used speaker wire to bridge the connection.

Btw, play with the throttle a little bit and look at how the cord pulls the power valve open and closed. It looks really cool

Next thing is to rev that engine all the way to the rev limiter (to make sure it's working so you don't have to go back in a fix it) if you hear the "choke" you need either better wire or thicker to make a better connection. If you don't hear the "choke" you've done it right. Take your baby for a spin and be prepared for a better response in power pulling for and extra 1000 rpm before it falls, 5 more horsepower and the new sound that will leave you with a big grin and a huge dose of adrenaline.

Happy riding!

Old 11-05-2006, 01:36 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Freeing up extra HP on ZX6R

That's the "Jumper Mod" that everyone talks about. It works and it is a noticeable difference. Do a search here for a link.

Edit: Here is the link to the mod.

Old 11-06-2006, 04:33 AM
The Dude
1st Gear Member

Is this only for the 05-06? or would it work on the 04 also? ok i did some looking around and found its only the 05-06

Old 11-06-2006, 08:31 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Unfortunately the "Jumper Mod" is not for the 03-04's. It affects the exhaust valve, rpm & mapping also. Rider are noticing gains by doing this mod even after they have installed slip-ons or full exhaust systems so it's not just the exhaust valve. I believe it raises the RPM limit by a few hundred RPMs.

Old 11-07-2006, 12:12 AM
The Dude
1st Gear Member

Is there anything like this that can be done to the 03-04 zx-6r's?

Old 11-07-2006, 01:00 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Power commander with an Ignition module or get the Race ECU which does both MAP & Ignition advance.

Old 11-07-2006, 05:35 PM

now just a thought, why would you want to raise the rpm limit when by the dyno sheets ive seen they quit making power before redline...

Old 11-07-2006, 06:08 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

If the mapping and the timing is changes, then the power curve is affected and that little bit of over-rev will help when you upshift. It will put you at close to max power at the next upshift. Especially if you have a performance exhaust, a PC111/ Race ECU, high flow air filter etc. More top end power.

Old 11-07-2006, 11:46 PM
1st Gear Member

I have K&N, 2 Bros, and a PCIII. Would I need to do a new, custom, map if I do the mod?

Old 11-08-2006, 07:47 PM

So I finally went ahead and did this mod last night. I just simply placed a jumper wire between the two wires inside the connector, then put the cap back on over it. My problem is I do not know if I actually made a good connection or not. I took it for a test run, but didn't really notice much of a difference. But I never really ran it up near redline a lot before the mod anyway, so maybe I just don't remember how it felt without the mod.

Quick Reply: Freeing up extra HP on ZX6R