First impression

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 01:31 AM
Default First impression

I just came back from my second 100-miler on the ZX. Still taking it easy, but you can definitely tell this thing will "GOOOOOOOOOOOOO". I have not taken her over 6,000 RPM ... but knowing that at that point you have not reached the "power zone" makes you wonder what it will do. I've ridden other 600, it feels like this one is more alive in the first half of the curve. It must be those extra 36cc.

I was able to hit a 10-mile twisty (55mph) road I like to ride (back and forth many times). It is great for break-in.

1. The suspension is great. It is firm (I actually went a little "stiffer" than stock) and very well balanced under breaking. Felt a little nosedive, but it may be the geometry of the bike. It has a tall tail.

2. I'm starting to get some grip on the tires. It was tricky the first time because it was cold (36).

2. Breaks have a solid feel to them. They have a nice grip progression. Is it mie or the rear break is close to useless. I used some of it to "break in" the rear pads ... and keep wondering if you could even lock the back wheel. ??? Maybe the pads need to set in ... I'll be carefull.

3. Mileage did about 118 miles on 3.1 gallons. That's about 38. Is that about average?

4. My wrists hurt!!! I need to adjust (lower) the levers. I'm 6"2' and it seem as if the dealer set them up for a 5"5' guy.

5. Finally, Is the clutch lever always this heavy? Does it get softer with time? After half an hour of shifting frequently the tendons were tired.

Cheers,

Serge

Old 02-24-2006, 04:59 AM
Default RE: First impression

Serge,

Welcome to the site!

The suspension works very well stock, firm but not too harsh.

The rear brake is like you said, just about worthless. This to me is a good thing, because you will never lock the rear wheel. I don't tend to use the rear brake anyway, just a habbit I have learned from the track.

The stock tires are excellent for the street and work well in cooler weather as well.

As far as adjusting the levers down, I tryed it and they are indexed to the bars. With some work it can be done. I ended up riding the bike a few times and I ended up liking the lever postion. I am not as tall as you though 5'11".

The clutch feel is pretty much normal, I have seen worst. Your hand should build strength over a period of time.

Have fun on your new bike,
Mike

Old 02-24-2006, 06:16 AM

Mike,

Thanks for the reply. Good to know I'm about right about what to expect. I don't use the rear brake that much either (just on city driving).

As to lowering the levers, I unscrewed the brace and was able to rotate downward both about 10o. It took me about five minutes. They feel much better now. Wrists are more relaxed.

I see you mention they are indexed ... can I ask you what that means?

Cheers,

Serge (Ninja 636)

Old 02-24-2006, 09:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Your gas mileage will improve as well. You should see improvement through the next three fillups or so. I get on average about 45mpg and that is running it pretty hard. The best I ever got was 48mpg.

Old 02-24-2006, 10:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Ive noticed that if I am riding in town....and alot of stop and go....ill get bout 40mpg.....if I am on the highway....i get close to 50mpg. Im still breaking her in, but have gone over the 6000rpm mark a few times and you really have to hold on when the power band kicks in. Have yet to come close to redline....im actually scared to get that high up. Now how do I adjust the rear suspension to make it a bit stiffer?

Old 02-24-2006, 03:34 PM

The MPG really drops after you make the -1 +2 gear change lol well worth it though

Old 02-24-2006, 03:35 PM

oh yeah, i get about 95-120 miles to a tank. hmmmm the good old days of 150 are gone

Old 02-24-2006, 10:26 PM
1st Gear Member

gotrice....why the sprocket changes?

Old 02-24-2006, 10:37 PM
1st Gear Member

gotrice....why the sprocket changes?

I was wondering that as well. I think it might help with the exceleration, and make it easier to pop wheelies. However I am not 100% sure on that. It would be nice to hear from someone who had it done.

Old 02-24-2006, 11:32 PM

You are correct on the acceleration. You loose some of the top speed, but the bike can still get up to 155mph. (now it just gets there a whole lot faster) I dont know bout u, but thats plenty fast. Come on, how often u gonna do 155, i think its bettter to have acceleration (power) in place that allows u to use it.

Its the cheapest mod with the most results. It feels like a whole new bike. Nothing like the feeling of how the bike pulls in all the gears.

it will help with the wheelie part, but i got it for the acceleration and yes, its a noticable change.

Plus when you do it ,you get a better/lighter chain and sprocket. win win

also i didnt buy my bike to save gas (nothing wrong if u did) i bought it to have hella fun

Quick Reply: First impression