Engine Stalls While Riding...ZX6e

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 11:20 PM
Default Engine Stalls While Riding...ZX6e

Bike is a 1994 ZX6e.

Well, this is confusing and a bit hard to explain...but I'm gonna try my best here. Generally this happens after I've been riding for atleast 15 mins or so. It only seems to happen when I start to push it and hit higher speeds/rpms. It will be running fine and then just lose all accelertion when I turn the throttle. No go, nothing happens. If I let the clutch out/slow down it dies. And at times holding it at constant throttle it will buck a little.

After it dies out (and I'm sitting like a jacka$$ on the side of the road) it won't start back up. I usually have to wait a good 5-10 mins. before it kicks over again. ANd when it finally does, rpms at idle are higher than normal (around 3-4k).

Anyone have an idea what this may be? Stuck floats flooding the engine? I dunno. Please help

Old 05-27-2007, 11:56 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Engine Stalls While Riding...ZX6e

When something like that happened to my old 91 ZX-6, the first thing I would do is run a full tank of premium fuel with some fuel injector cleaner in it and then replace the spark plugs. If that didn't work, I would re-sync the carbs. Buying a carburetor synchronizer is one of the best purchases you will make. I used to sync the carbs every spring before the riding season, it makes a huge difference. It's pretty easy, you just prop up the tank so you can get to the carbs but leave the tank hooked up so you can run the bike. Start the bike to warm to regular temp. Then unplug these 4 vaccuum lines going to the carbs and hook them to this gauge. When you start the bike, the mercury rises in these gauges connected to each carb and you adjust the throttle plate screw until all four mercurt levels are pretty equal. This is to make sure all your carbs are opening at the same time. If not, it can cause poor acceleration and stalling.

Good Luck!

Old 05-28-2007, 04:43 AM

Wierd thing is, when it dies it won't start back up until I wait a good 15-20 minutes. This wouldn't have anything to do with the carbs being out of sync would it??

Old 05-28-2007, 05:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Do you smell gas after it dies? If you do I would say carbs, but I want to say it sounds like a relay, or ignition coil fading as it gets hot. I had a problem like this on a Bronco I used to have, and it ended up being the ignition coil.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:21 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: shinobi636

Do you smell gas after it dies? If you do I would say carbs, but I want to say it sounds like a relay, or ignition coil fading as it gets hot. I had a problem like this on a Bronco I used to have, and it ended up being the ignition coil.
That sound exactly like what would happen hoever it is possible that the ignition pick-up coil could be bad. Has the bike been dropped orcrashed on the RH side?I had the same problem with my old KZ650. Get a new/ used known good coil. It's hard to test a coil that goes bad only when it gets hot so replace them both. You can buy better Andrews or Accel coils.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:39 PM

It was backed into and knocked over (fell on it's left side). After that I jump started it with my car running (which I later found out I probably shouldn't have done). Would either of these mess up the ignition coil?

Old 05-31-2007, 12:13 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tbspyder

It was backed into and knocked over (fell on it's left side). After that I jump started it with my car running (which I later found out I probably shouldn't have done). Would either of these mess up the ignition coil?
Did you put the ground on the bike frame or battery? It sounds more like an ignition coil now. You can test it with a voltmeter but it wouldn't hurt to replace the two anyways...

Old 05-31-2007, 04:54 AM

ORIGINAL: 05ZX6R

ORIGINAL: tbspyder

Did you put the ground on the bike frame or battery? It sounds more like an ignition coil now. You can test it with a voltmeter but it wouldn't hurt to replace the two anyways...
I put the ground on the battery. I know....not supposed to. I ran a vm on it while I jumped it though...didn't go much past 13v, which I would think would be safe...what do I know about bikes though.

How do you test them?

Old 05-31-2007, 05:40 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

You may get a good test while the bike/ coil is cold but will malfunction when warmed up/ hot. Get a manual to find out how to test correctly. You can measure the resistance from the two pins and between the pins & spark plug wire to see if they read the same on both coils.