E85

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 04:40 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default RE: E85

Plus with E85, to get the same HP, you need to dump more fuel through the injectors which means bigger injectors, higher compression etc. The Alcohol in the E85 will ruin standard ubber o-rings over time. Also, a lot of synthetic engineoils are Ester Based and cannot be used in alcohol based fuel vehicles because the alcohol washes away the lubricating propertes of the oil.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Koh: you are 100% correct. Ethanol is a lot more effecient when extracted form grasses, I just didn't feel like going there... It's bi-products are also usable as an energy source increasing the effeciency further...

Old 02-15-2008, 01:39 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

I think somebody asked me why I would submit a post regarding the use of E85 a few months ago. If I recall: "How would something like E85 end up in a motorcycle gas tank??" Hmmm.

E85 has a very short shelf life, and will separate. It will also deteriorate the epoxies used in fiberglass.

Don't use this stuff in your bikes, guys and gals.

Old 02-16-2008, 02:24 AM

i was just asking cause E85 is 111 octane... i changed the carb on my race car and run e85 and it runs the same as it did when i ran turbo blue

Old 02-16-2008, 04:43 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

What's Turbo Blue?

Old 02-16-2008, 06:49 PM

Turbo Blue is race gas... called turbo blue cause its bright blue in color and is 111 octane...

Old 02-17-2008, 06:06 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info; Haven't seen any of that yet. The U4 is most popular here. Unless your bike absolutely requires Race Gas due to higher that stock compression, it's a waste of money unless you're racing for money/ professionally. It gets expensive and that is why we use 93 Octanepremium pump gas for the endurance races.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:40 AM

I know that this thread has been dead for a few months, but I have an E85 station down the street from me, and I'm wondering why the general consensus on this board is to not use it. I drive a Talon TSi, and a lot of the guys that have access to E85 run it if possible. It's cheaper, and it has a ridiculously high octane rating for pump gas. (Read: Sub $3 race gas.)

Also, I know that the general consensus is that the alcohol in E85 will corrode standard fuel delivery systems. However, all of the guys I know that run it haven't complained about eating through rubber hoses and what not. And I'm quite certain that there are more vulnerable pieces in a car than in a bike (just because there's less distance from the fuel pump to the injectors on a bike than that of a car.)

So why are people saying not to run it in our bikes? Yes, your gas mileage will decrease, but for the price and the potency of the fuel, why not? I understand that bikes run high cr's as opposed to low cr's and boost in turbocharged cars, but regardless, the point of high octane fuel is to resist knock/predetonation.

So maybe some explanations with some science behind it?

Old 06-25-2008, 06:10 PM
1st Gear Member

i think everyone has explained it. why would you put anything else than whats required. a minimum of 91 oct ONLY. thats what the engine was build for , tested , and run with. it doesnt say put whatever gas you want . E85 is made for vehicles that require E85. people know the consequences , eventually it will deterioate your fuel system and engine. But hey whatever you wanna do doesnt hurt me. diesels can ran biofuel with some cleaning and alittle bit of work to it but im not gonna be pouring it down my bikes gas tank b.c its cheaper, safe for environment, and smells like french fries, so why would you use E85 that has harmful reactions to a normal gasoline engine.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:22 PM

Did you not read my post?

1. It's cheap. (Read: less than $3.00 a gallon here)
2. It's got an incredibly high octane rating. (100-105 compared to 91 **** we have here. Dunno if you think the '85' means 85 octane, but it doesn't.)
3. It really won't chew up your gas lines, unless for some reason, a bike's fuel delivery system is designed to be less tolerant than an automobiles. I know plenty of guys that run literally tank fulls of the stuff through a turbocharged vehicle.

Look, I don't know if you meant it to come across so sarcastically, but I was asking a valid question, because honestly, the information I have is conflicting with the information in this thread. And to point something out, there is typically nothing more needed than a higher flowing fuel pump, injectors, and a way to control the extra fuel. A bike uses waaaay less fuel than my car, so I would assume that I'd be fine just running it and just getting a little bit worse gas mileage.

Anyone want to give me some scientific proof why we shouldn't? All I've seen is hearsay, and I'm sure I'm ruffling some feathers here, but I'm honestly curious as to why no one runs it here.

And screw french fries. I'm never sitting still long enough to smell it.

Quick Reply: E85