dead battery motherfu........

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 06:58 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member
Default dead battery motherfu........

anyone ever fry their battery ? i had a couple times where i didnt ride for 3 week intervals and every time my battery died, so i hooked it up to the battery tender and a few hours later it would start. last time i hooked it to the bt started it but didnt ride, something came up and i didnt ride or start my bike for at least5 weeks. plugged it into the bt again and nothing, left it plugged in for 3 days and not even enough juice to turn it over.

so electrical gurus, did i kill the battery ?

will a pop start work ?

Old 07-14-2007, 12:29 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: dead battery motherfu........

How long are you leaving it plugged into the battery tender? These are made to keep a charge on the battery and not to recharge one, they only put out a couple of volts. You could try and pop-start it but if you don't like that you can jump start it with jumper cables but they need to be small and you need to remove the seat and loosen the tank to move it. My simple solution to jump start was to buy a battery pack from Wal-mart for $35.

I also bought a battery tender and it came with a plug with two eye-hooks that connects to the battery and has a cable with a plug on it. I hooked up the eye-hooks to the battery and ran the plug under the frame behind the small plastic fairing you remove to get to the tank bolts. Now I can just take off that little piece and plug in the battery pack to jump start the bike or to hook up the battery tender. Makes it very easy!
I usually plug in the battery tender when it sits for more than a week and leave it plugged in for more than 24 hours.

Old 07-14-2007, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

batts dead! If it will not hold a charge its history! How old was it?

Old 07-14-2007, 07:49 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Charge the battery with a 2 Amp trickle charger or take it outand have it charged. Clean your battery terminals because when a battery discharges slowly over time, it builds up corrosion between the terminals & battery posts. Usuallt cleaning the terminals & re-charging the battery will fix the problem. A new battery should last for 3-5 years at least depending on the conditions. Hot areas last less of if it's exposed to a lot of heat or freezing temps. In Texas a battery's average life is 3 years (for Cars) because they are exposed to the extreme summerheat&winter cold. But Evil, youkeep yourbike inside and your bike is fairly new, so the battery should be good. Charge it (with a charger and not the battery tender), clean the terminals and you should be good to go. Even if you just want to bump start it, at least clean the terminals first.

Old 07-15-2007, 06:57 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

going to try it this week, hopefully its all good and ill be back on the road when the time permits. to much going on now as it is.

Old 07-15-2007, 07:03 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hmm, replace battery. If the ride does not like playing with any revs, low juice.

Old 07-15-2007, 07:06 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

it hasnt been getting any throttle action latley and when i was going to rev the **** out of it, it ended up getting parked [>:]

Old 07-25-2007, 12:02 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

just an update. i just pulled the battery out, no corrosion at all, clean as the day i bought it. ill have to take it to get it charged being my charger took a dump on my when i needed it most so well see if it holds a charge.

Old 07-25-2007, 02:18 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05ZX6R
I also bought a battery tender and it came with a plug with two eye-hooks that connects to the battery and has a cable with a plug on it. I hooked up the eye-hooks to the battery and ran the plug under the frame behind the small plastic fairing you remove to get to the tank bolts. Now I can just take off that little piece and plug in the battery pack to jump start the bike or to hook up the battery tender. Makes it very easy!
I usually plug in the battery tender when it sits for more than a week and leave it plugged in for more than 24 hours.
i've got the same basic setup

Old 07-25-2007, 09:00 PM
The Dude
1st Gear Member

My friends Duc loves to kill batterys, don't know why. I think the longest I went with out starting the bike and letting it warm up was 1 week. That was when I had my accident and wasn't able to ride I would go out on saturday start it up let it run for a good 15 or so min then shut her off.

Quick Reply: dead battery motherfu........