cutting fairing for frame slider

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 01:12 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: cutting fairing for frame slider

Actually it doesnt prevent ALL damage. And in certain accidents it doesnt help any as every crash is different. Yes race bikes have them on them also. Im more worried about having it go down at 100+mph and with the frame sliders it gives me a few extra inches to get my legs out.

Old 03-05-2006, 01:57 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Donatello

Yes I have been warned and I decided not to get either att. I respectfully disagree with it making the bike look better. Most of the cosmetic mods the guys in this forum are doing is to eliminate anything "sticking" out on the bike. To make it look more like a race bike. Do race bikes have frame sliders? They probably do, I don't know. Everytime I see those things sticking out on the side of someone's bike it reminds of the foot pegs on my kids bicycle. I came close to buying the no cut frame sliders. I had some picked out and in a cart on a website but after reading the feedback in here I changed my mind. I just can't see how frame sliders will help "that" much. If you have them and your bike goes down you are telling me that no part of the fairing gets damaged? I find that hard to believe. If it just saving it from the occasional fall in the garage then I will just have to be more careful. I can't help but wonder if I'm off base on this cuz it seems like most of you have them on your bikes. If it is for the "look" only it's not for me.
This could be the worst decision you make by not installing frame sliders. First off race bikes do not have them, they do not need them. If there bike goes down they just slap on new free factory fiberglass. There are a number of other reasons but they are not that important.

My last hit and run accident was at fifty MPH, thanks to my frame sliders my bike suffered small scrape on the front fairing about the size of a nickel, scratch on my CRG gold shorty clutch handle which pissed me off the most, a larger scrape on the rear behind the seat about the size of the palm if your hand. The front slider ground down about 1” and the swing arm slider was about ½ gone.

If not for the sliders I would be buying a new plastics, new clipon and clutch handle, swing arm foot rest and shifter. Do the math I replaced the sliders for 65.00 that saved me easy 1500.00. They will as you stated save your bike incase of falling over in the garage. Mine has fallen once, I am careful, and it suffered no damage.

Cutting the plastic is just part of it and can be done easily with a dremal and patience. When buying sliders get the nylon or derlin type, stay away from the billet or any other metal. Metal sounds good but it does not slide instead it grabs and snaps off. Nylon or derlin are made to slide and wear down slowly while slowing down the bike.

I love my frame sliders and is the first mod I will do to all of and any more bikes I get.

Old 03-05-2006, 02:24 AM

Hmmm...that's a pretty convincing argument. I will keep that in mind. Did you say your "last" hit and run accident? How many have you been in? Dudes, if you go down at a 100+mph frame sliders aren't gonna help save what is important. I hope you psychos wear armor.

Old 03-05-2006, 02:29 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Donatello

Hmmm...that's a pretty convincing argument. I will keep that in mind. Did you say your "last" hit and run accident? How many have you been in? Dudes, if you go down at a 100+mph frame sliders aren't gonna help save what is important. I hope you psychos wear armor.
Been in a couple [&o], 100 mph will help save important items like the frame and swingarm. Plastics are going to be thrashed though. As far as armor always full leathers, boots, gloves and brain saver

Old 03-05-2006, 02:38 AM
1st Gear Member

I wear full race leather, boots, gloves and helmet anytime im going to be doing any type of decent speed. And ive been in one accident on my cruiser....and the crash bars did their job...just like frame sliders. I had some old lady hit me while i was stopped...she was doing bout 40mph.

Old 03-05-2006, 02:50 AM
Super Moderator

Ouch! [:@]

Old 03-05-2006, 02:56 AM
1st Gear Member

yeah....compressed 3 vertebre in my back....went to the chiropractor for 3.5 months...totaled the bike and never missed a day of work. Also rode the bike home a couple days later as i was out at a bike rally when it happened.

Old 03-05-2006, 03:06 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: txredneckmedic

yeah....compressed 3 vertebre in my back....went to the chiropractor for 3.5 months...totaled the bike and never missed a day of work. Also rode the bike home a couple days later as i was out at a bike rally when it happened.
Here is a shot of my knee, I removed the armor from my leathers because it felt uncomfortable on long rides. IDIOT[:@] Then some jerk cut over lanes trying to make there exit and WACK. Armor is in where it belongs and now it feels so good I can't describe it

[IMG]local://upfiles/346/8FA43C7A7FB942E38AD0C2509B44543A.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/346/DC5E0D372A664D59A621720EB1C89A12.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/346/80BD498E4F9D4781B16A9583545BDEBD.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-05-2006, 03:37 AM
1eo

ORIGINAL: 1eo

also, were can I get the Vortex frame slider? I have seen a few sites, but they are all 03-04.... Will those fit the 05-06???

leo
does anyone know>?? leo

Old 03-05-2006, 03:40 AM
1st Gear Member

I saw some a couple days ago....i forget where. Did u check out chromewhores store?

Hey notstock....coulda been alot worse if u hadnt been wearing the leathers though.

Quick Reply: cutting fairing for frame slider