clutch question

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 07:15 PM
Default clutch question

My 06 rr seems to be slipping in 1st gear what is the best clutch kit to install to avoid this? EBC?

Old 07-15-2006, 07:52 PM
Default RE: clutch question

If its '06 bike shoudnt be a problem with the clutch. What type of oil is in the engine? semisintetic or sintetic?

Old 07-15-2006, 11:22 PM
1st Gear Member

i was told how to test your clutch is this...be going up a slight hill in 6th gear about normal highway speeds and then open the throttle quickly. if your bike takes off your clutch is good..if your clutch revs up and doesn't accelerate then your clutch is pooched. i thought mine was bad until i was told that. i adjusted the cable on both ends and had stiffer springs installed and voila...she pops the front end goin into 3rd. just a bit though hope this helped

Old 07-16-2006, 12:28 AM

Thanks for the replies guys I'll have to try that test. What it feels like starting out is like my tire is spinning. thats what i thought at first cuz i had just went through some water in the road, once i realized it was still doing when my tire was dry i knew something was wrong.
My clutch lever is almost fully released by the time I start to move out. any other suggstions. before i go install a stouter clutch kit.

Old 07-16-2006, 03:21 AM
1st Gear Member

My clutch lever is almost fully released by the time I start to move out. any other suggstions. before i go install a stouter clutch kit.
Sounds like your clutch cable is to tight, so even if the lever is fully released it is actually still engaging the clutch. try to loosen it up a bit and see from there...

Old 07-16-2006, 03:42 AM
1st Gear Member

what exact oil are you running. b/c if you put regular car oil in, depending on the oil, it will cause ur clutch to go bad. bikes have a wetclutch and require certian oil for them to work. as for a replacment clutch, if the clutch isn't too bad, replace just the fibers with oem ones b/c when you replace the plates, thats when it gets expensive.

Old 07-16-2006, 03:53 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Do as Lemac suggested; put some freeplay in your clutch cable. How many miles do you have on the bike and do you slip your clutch a lot. The life of the clutch depends on how you treat it and not necessarily the oil. I run Mobil1 or Valvoline Synthetic and have not had any problems with my clutch. Some car oils do have friction modifiers in them that could cause possible slippage but your clutch may be worn if the above adjustments aren't helping. You may have glazed and/ or warped your plates. Barnett makes a good replacement clutch plate kit if you need them.

Old 07-16-2006, 05:19 AM

I only have around 1700 miles on it and those are just easy street riding nothing rough. It has the factory oil in it still.

Old 07-16-2006, 05:22 AM

I'll ask the same question about oil... what are you running? If you switched from regular to synthetic that could be your problem or visa versa.

As far a new clutch, I would think Kawasaki would warrantee it if it's bad already.

Old 07-16-2006, 10:47 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Yes, if it's slipping already then It should be under warranty. That is very low miles for it to be slipping. Is the adjustment good/ free-play in the cable/ lever? Are you a new rider and/ or do you slip the clutch a lot to take off and change gears? Take it to someone who knows bikes or the dealer that you got it from and have them test ride it to make sure.

Quick Reply: clutch question