cleaning carbs

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 06:18 AM
Default cleaning carbs

i am removing the carbs soon to replace a leaky rubber carb holder. i want to inspect the carbs to see if they are clean so if i remove the float bowl covers is anythign going to fall out or is it best i just leave them on and not touch anything.
will the gaskets need to be replaced?

Old 01-08-2007, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: cleaning carbs

Dude if you want to clean your carbs you need to take them apart. It is no to hard, if you are worried about not being able to put them back to gether just do three and leave the 4th as a reference if you forget the reassembly process.

Remove the float bowls, nothing going to fall out, just the floats will move.

Remove the pilot jets and main jets 8 total, leave the floats in place unless they are damaged you can spray cleaner around them no problem.

remove the vacuum covers, they are usually black plastic covers. There is a large spring in there that will push the cove off once you have the screws out. Careful with the soft plastic boots here, you do not want to puncture this material. Also pull out the needle Assembly, this has a few small parts so be carfull, remember you have 3 others to do and can use them as reference if you drop anything. Needles and all there parts need to be put back in the same way, so pay attention when removing.

Leave the carb block to gether and get about 5 large cans of carb cleaner and spray then down. Pay close attention to all the little holes and where the 8 jets were removed,

Clean the jets too, use a very small wire, I used strands from a normal speaker wire, and make sure all the jets are clear with no restrictions.

Its not hard bro just have to remember the reassembly process. If you send or post the YR make and model I will post you a gooddigram of your carbs that can help you.

Good luck.

Old 01-09-2007, 01:57 AM

2001 ZX-6R

Old 01-09-2007, 04:27 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Notstock

Dude if you want to clean your carbs you need to take them apart. It is no to hard, if you are worried about not being able to put them back to gether just do three and leave the 4th as a reference if you forget the reassembly process.

Remove the float bowls, nothing going to fall out, just the floats will move.

Remove the pilot jets and main jets 8 total, leave the floats in place unless they are damaged you can spray cleaner around them no problem.

remove the vacuum covers, they are usually black plastic covers. There is a large spring in there that will push the cove off once you have the screws out. Careful with the soft plastic boots here, you do not want to puncture this material. Also pull out the needle Assembly, this has a few small parts so be carfull, remember you have 3 others to do and can use them as reference if you drop anything. Needles and all there parts need to be put back in the same way, so pay attention when removing.

Leave the carb block to gether and get about 5 large cans of carb cleaner and spray then down. Pay close attention to all the little holes and where the 8 jets were removed,

Clean the jets too, use a very small wire, I used strands from a normal speaker wire, and make sure all the jets are clear with no restrictions.

Its not hard bro just have to remember the reassembly process. If you send or post the YR make and model I will post you a gooddigram of your carbs that can help you.

Good luck.
+1

Just keep all rubber material away from the cleaner.

Old 01-09-2007, 09:10 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Also make sure that you count and write downthe amount of turns on the idle & air mixture screws before you remove anything. Count the turns it takes to seat (clockwise turn in) and reset them in the same position when you reassemble.

Old 01-09-2007, 11:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Taking the carbs apart is much easier than you would think. I was a little nervous about ripping my carbs apart too until I actually did it. It's simplicity will pleasantly surprise you.

Old 01-09-2007, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: 2001ninjaZX6R

2001 ZX-6R
Here you go! btw a 25.00 service manual will go a long way if you are going to be doing your own maintenance,

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/400_04...p;parent=12990