chain tightness

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 01:37 AM
1st Gear Member
Default chain tightness

i recently put on a renthylsprocket on my bike in the rear, and i went up one tooth..... its awesome, its torquey, quick...everything i wanted.....but i'm thinking i tightened the chain to much.....about how much slack should i have.......should i be able to slightly wiggle it up and down....or should there be a bit more then just a slight wiggle......?? any help answering this would be greatly appreciated

636 4 life!

[/align]

Old 12-22-2006, 03:10 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: chain tightness

The manual says 1.2-1.4 in.

Old 12-22-2006, 04:32 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

yup 30-35mm on my ride, so pretty close.

Old 12-22-2006, 05:28 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

If it's too tight, you'll wear out (stretch)the chain, sprocket, and put unnecessary load on your transmission. Also it will restrict free movement of the suspension. If it's too loose, you'll have rough/difficulty shifting gears. It'll be clunky.

Old 12-22-2006, 05:57 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: speedracer138

If it's too tight, you'll wear out (stretch)the chain, sprocket, and put unnecessary load on your transmission. Also it will restrict free movement of the suspension. If it's too loose, you'll have rough/difficulty shifting gears. It'll be clunky.
so true. but you were just being nice on the consequences.

Old 12-23-2006, 09:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Word. Before I knew any better I had the chain too loose on an old Honda I used to have. Man it chewed my sprockets up like it was its job.

Old 12-23-2006, 06:55 PM

Ditto above on the inch/mm numbers. I think that's what I remember from the manuals.

Whether its right or not (please educate me if I heard wrong), a chain that's too tight has more chance to break. If its a little on way or the other, a chain slightly too loose is less risky than one that's so tight you can't get it to move up/down at mid point from rear to front sprockets.

One person told me next time you got to a bike night ... go around and look at all the loose chains on bikes. It will amaze you how many are sagging.

Old 12-23-2006, 09:28 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Unmaintained chains will also cause a too tight of a chain. Couple of links start binding, sprocket wear and other potential issues may happen. Endless chains when this happens wear on the shaft seal and tranny where the masterlink chains will normally break when too tight.Can you imagine the pressure on the journals when the swing arm moves? Ouch Yes a too loose of a chain you can feel the clunky shifting, extra wear on the sprockets and slapping of the chain against the guard. Neither extreme is good. So while you are kicking the tires before your ride, use your toe and press on the chain for a mental gauge.

Old 12-24-2006, 02:43 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

A tootight ends up in abroken Chain and can get bunched up around the counter shaft sprocket which will cause the engine case to crack and ruin your day. A too loose chain can have the same effect be coming off the sprocket and binding up and lockingthe rear wheel and if it breaks, could damage the case too and cause you to crash.

Old 12-28-2006, 04:35 PM

slapping of the chain against the guard
whats a chain guard??!!

Quick Reply: chain tightness