cam chain tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 05:46 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: cam chain tensioner

funny post there notstock. Ok well i guess i'll have to put alot more miles on my bike before i have to change out the cam tensioner.

Old 05-31-2007, 12:12 AM
1st Gear Member

I was looking to get one for my 03 636 and I saw them one on Ebay for $50-55 plus shipping.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:02 PM
The Dude
1st Gear Member

any one know how loaud it gets befor it goes out? I guess what im trying to ask is. if tis on its way out or getting close to being dead is the bike really really noisey or not really? I was planing on taking a 150 mile trip this weekend and I don't want it to die on me.

Old 06-02-2007, 02:44 AM
1st Gear Member

I would get it fixed first bro. Would hate to see a post of the bike getting messed up on here from something you knew is going bad.

Old 06-02-2007, 04:27 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

There is a way you can modify the stock one to make it an adjustable tensioner but you have to know what you're doing. First put the engine with the #1 Cylinder in TDC thenremove the tensioner. Dis-assemble the tensioner then drill and tap a hole in the back of the tensioner for a 5mm thread bolt. Get a 5mm bolt (about 40mm long) and a locknut. Put some threadsealer on the threads to prevent any oil leaks. This bolt will push against the stock plunger and prevent it from moving back causing a loose cam chain. Tighten the locknut and you're good to go. I did this to my racebike and never had any problems. I will try to do a DIY post to my stock one.

Old 06-02-2007, 09:12 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

something along these lines were used in the 250 section.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:42 AM

If your bike sounds louder than normal and you hear a slap like noise from your engine you need to replace your timing chain, not your tensioner. Your tensioner works by a spring and a steel pin that push against the back side of your tensioner. There is a cap that screws into the tensioner that holds the pin/spring against the tensioner. Loosen the cap completely, take out spring and pin and either get a dealer to or you take your bike down to the cams on the top of your engine. If you do it all you need is small fingers to fit down in the slot where you timing chain goes to move the tensioner guide out of the way then you will need to pull back on a little square peg on the top of your tensioner. This will release the tensioner and allow it to slide back to the normal position. If you do it your self make sure you mark the cams positions before you take out the timing chain. It took me five tries to get the cams back to the exact position they were in, with only one bent valve.

Old 07-21-2007, 03:42 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jman

If your bike sounds louder than normal and you hear a slap like noise from your engine you need to replace your timing chain, not your tensioner. Your tensioner works by a spring and a steel pin that push against the back side of your tensioner. There is a cap that screws into the tensioner that holds the pin/spring against the tensioner. Loosen the cap completely, take out spring and pin and either get a dealer to or you take your bike down to the cams on the top of your engine. If you do it all you need is small fingers to fit down in the slot where you timing chain goes to move the tensioner guide out of the way then you will need to pull back on a little square peg on the top of your tensioner. This will release the tensioner and allow it to slide back to the normal position. If you do it your self make sure you mark the cams positions before you take out the timing chain. It took me five tries to get the cams back to the exact position they were in, with only one bent valve.
These bikes are fairly new and low miles so the Cam Chain isn't worn. These Automatic Cam Chain tensioners are known to loosen and cause noise. Kawasaki has Factory manual ones available. If you follow the maintenance manual when changing it, yu shouldn't have any problems replacing the tensioner or cause any damage.