Buying a 6r within the month

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 03:30 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Buying a 6r within the month

Ok fellas its been a looooong time coming. Ive been in love with bikes since i was 7 yrs old. Now being 24 i figure its about time i get one. Im looking at the years 01-04. Ill probably go look at one this weekend.

What are some things I should look for? Besides mileage and damage is there anything particular I should ask the owner?

Also I heard that two brothers exhaust sounds killer on ninja's.. should I go with that brand once i get my machine? Any help is appreciated. Shortly Ill be one of you guys!

Old 01-31-2007, 03:52 AM
Default RE: Buying a 6r within the month

just things to check out...

look for scuffs on the foot pegs or frame, to make sure the bike has not been down.... also look at the wiring (make sure nothin has been ghetto-rigged)

if it has been down... make sure abike mechanic does a safety check...

Old 01-31-2007, 03:56 AM

Oh! how rude of me! Welcome to the Forums! And congrats on deciding to go with a 6r

Make sure to post pics of what your looking at &/or purchase!

Old 01-31-2007, 04:01 AM
1st Gear Member

will do man. im so anxious to get one but I want to wait it out. Maybe something better will come along... ya know?

Old 01-31-2007, 06:10 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Check the fork seals for leakage and check the tires. Worn stock tires could be lack of miles on the ride (ie 3000 miles) or may also mean lack of maintenance done to the ride (ie 6000 miles). Tire cracks (the ride may have been sitting for a couple of yrs)

Old 01-31-2007, 06:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Check for any oil residue on the inside and bottom of the fairing. Also check chain and sprocket for wear compared to millage. Low miles -high chain and sprocketwear might give a indication of how the bike was ridin. And welcome to the forum we will have to meet up some time I am over by Maderia Beach. You will love your 6R I love mine. You can go with any brand you want just findthe onethat appeals to you and has the sound you want.[align=center][/align]

Old 02-01-2007, 12:22 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

check the chain out too. its usually a good indicator on how well a bike was maintained. roll it, feel for any binding etc.. start it, listen for abnormal noises coming from the motor. rev it, does it rev clean or sputter. to many things to look for in buying a used bike. good luck on the search and dont get to anxious, youll know when the right one comes along. btw, welcome to the forums.

Old 02-01-2007, 02:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Ill make sure to print this out and take it when i go.

Old 02-01-2007, 03:01 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

mabey you can meet up with a member here and have them go with you. straight out man, im an *******, if i buy a used bike from someone im tearing the fairings off and doing a compression check on it, a leak down test on it and going through it with a fine tooth comb. check out the breaks and brake lines also make sure there not warn and swell when you squeeze the lever. if someone tries to tell you not to inspect it then straight out dont buy it. an honest person would want you to be completly ok with what your spending your money on.

Old 02-01-2007, 04:53 AM
1st Gear Member

You know that sounds awesome. I guy at work has an 06 636 and loves bikes so i might ask him. hell if anyone near me would come with me ill buy you lunch at hoots or something.

so far im watching 3 bikes. 2 on cycletrader and one on ebay. theres a 9r thats a steal but im afraid its too big for a first bike...

Quick Reply: Buying a 6r within the month