Buying an 09 ZX6R

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 01:18 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Buying an 09 ZX6R

My questions are mostly on the financial side of things.

Im sure most of you know, but it has been totally redesigned since last year. As of now, its set to be released in mid January.

My questions are, how much can you really haggle on a motorcycle? Especially a brand new bike thats been redesigned?

Kawasaki has 2 different methods of financing. One is through a credit card, the other is like an auto loan. The great thing about a credit card is that is low interest and I don't have to have full coverage insurance (Which is a total rip off for me...male...under 25). But unless it's really outrageous, I think I would like to get full coverage for the first year...that way I'll have a full year to get used to it, as it seems like youre more likely to lay it over in the first year.

So I was wondering if anyone knows if its possible to get it as an auto loan, then transfer it over to a credit card after a year?

Theres about 15-20 dealerships within a couple hours of here. The best price I've got so far was $11,133 out the door including the 4 year extended warranty. I'm also thinking about putting an exhaust on it as well to see if they can get me a good deal on it. I'm going to start calling dealerships again in January as some have told me they don't have cost on them yet.

On a side note, some of the full exhaust systems like this one:
http://www.akrapovic.de/news_center/...X_6R_09_SO.pdf

Say theyre illegal for street use...my question is...how does someone know if its legal or not? Is it easy for someone to tell if I'm getting it inspected or if a LEO pulls me over?

Also, what else will I need to do to get the most out of my exhaust? Powercommander? Air filter? Dyno tuned?

Any other suggestions?
-Cody

Old 12-10-2008, 02:20 AM
1st Gear Member

I am not sure why it would be illegal. If it is noise, then they can tell, but most here do not care. If you live in CA, it seems like they are more apt to get you for noise. It also depends on the emission laws where you live. Here in OH they don't test anymore, so no worries. PC3, air filter, and a dyno tune would be great, especially with the exhaust. You may want to consider getting to know the bike better first, as many insurance policies will not replace the aftermarket stuff. I also am not sure about how the mods will affect that warranty. I know that on my next bike I will not buy the extended warranty, it has been a waste of money IMHO. You have a lot to think about.

As far as the price, it depends on the time of year, and the demand for a new product. I doubt you will be able to get them to deal much on a hot new product like the new 6R.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by exalted512
My questions are mostly on the financial side of things.

Im sure most of you know, but it has been totally redesigned since last year. As of now, its set to be released in mid January.

My questions are, how much can you really haggle on a motorcycle? Especially a brand new bike thats been redesigned?

Kawasaki has 2 different methods of financing. One is through a credit card, the other is like an auto loan. The great thing about a credit card is that is low interest and I don't have to have full coverage insurance (Which is a total rip off for me...male...under 25). But unless it's really outrageous, I think I would like to get full coverage for the first year...that way I'll have a full year to get used to it, as it seems like youre more likely to lay it over in the first year.

So I was wondering if anyone knows if its possible to get it as an auto loan, then transfer it over to a credit card after a year?

Theres about 15-20 dealerships within a couple hours of here. The best price I've got so far was $11,133 out the door including the 4 year extended warranty. I'm also thinking about putting an exhaust on it as well to see if they can get me a good deal on it. I'm going to start calling dealerships again in January as some have told me they don't have cost on them yet.

On a side note, some of the full exhaust systems like this one:
http://www.akrapovic.de/news_center/...X_6R_09_SO.pdf

Say theyre illegal for street use...my question is...how does someone know if its legal or not? Is it easy for someone to tell if I'm getting it inspected or if a LEO pulls me over?

Also, what else will I need to do to get the most out of my exhaust? Powercommander? Air filter? Dyno tuned?

Any other suggestions?
-Cody

any modification to an exhaust system is illegal. you may never get pulled over for having an aftermarket exhaust but if it is really loud then you increase you chance of a LEO ticketing you.

Old 12-12-2008, 05:35 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm not modifying it, I'm replacing it with the one in the link. But it says its for track use only...

My question is, how can you tell? Besides it being too loud. Would I have problems getting the bike inspected?
-Cody

Old 12-12-2008, 08:45 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm sure they will come out with the system you seen for the street side too. then you wouldn't have any problems because then it would be legal. I truly never understood why race parts are easy to buy but you can't use them on the street.

Old 12-13-2008, 12:40 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm not modifying it, I'm replacing it with the one in the link. But it says its for track use only...

My question is, how can you tell? Besides it being too loud. Would I have problems getting the bike inspected?
-Cody
modifying includes replacing. If you alter any part of something that belongs to an emission system it is illegal. aftermarket exhaust are so common that no one ever gets ticketed for it but that does not mean they can't be ticketed. it is against the law to have your bike over 80dbs and oem systems are close as it is.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kozumasbullitt
modifying includes replacing. If you alter any part of something that belongs to an emission system it is illegal. aftermarket exhaust are so common that no one ever gets ticketed for it but that does not mean they can't be ticketed. it is against the law to have your bike over 80dbs and oem systems are close as it is.
So what happen when your factory exhausts fail? Why aren't exhaust places shut down for continuing to put illegal cars on the road? This doesn't make sense.
-Cody

Old 12-15-2008, 02:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Not necessarily advice, but for me it is not a concern. The man will let me know if it is too loud. Mine is pretty noisy at high rpms, but I don't rev it up in front of the house in the morning or anything. "Legal" is just a suggestion IMHO. This is America, put whatever you want on there, just don't get too crazy.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Right. I wouldn't do that anyway.

After researching it more, it seems like its more of a state issue concerning the legality of aftermarket exhausts. In Texas, if its louder than stock, you can get a ticket, but no one really gives tickets for it unless youre being stupid.
-Cody

Old 12-15-2008, 11:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Right. I wouldn't do that anyway.

After researching it more, it seems like its more of a state issue concerning the legality of aftermarket exhausts. In Texas, if its louder than stock, you can get a ticket, but no one really gives tickets for it unless youre being stupid.
-Cody

That is what i was getting at. I live in CA. and they only crack down when there are large groups or if you are doing something dumb. The other question about how is it legal, it is legal because most aftermarket exhausts state "for off road use only".

Quick Reply: Buying an 09 ZX6R