Bought a 04 636 have some ?s

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 04:47 AM
Default Bought a 04 636 have some ?s

Hello im new here, and just recently bought a 04 zx636, its blue. First thing, I notice I can smell gas very strong when im sittin on the bike, it does seem to be coming from the tank cap, is this normal? Secondly the bike seems very loud, almost like a sewing machine, lots of ticking. Also the previous owner tried to shave the seat and did a terrible job, i might never be able to have kids again after riding this thing, what can i do about it. Lastly I was curious how about a helmet lock or somthing to put my helmet on when i go in somewhere, i cant seem to finda anything.

Old 05-22-2007, 05:14 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Bought a 04 636 have some ?s

Welcome to the forum. Some members have complained of the fuel odor & sound leaking from the tank/ cap. The motor is noisy and normal. Go to the DIY section and there is a write-up on the seat shave but since your's is messed up, buy a used one and re-shave it. You will have to if you want kids. Are you sure your's is shaved? They came stock as nutcrackers. Thw helmet lock is under the passenger seat front corners. You'll see a hook. Hokk your helmet to it then install the seat.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:22 PM

Awesome reply, thank you for answering my questions, Im going to go check out the helmet lock in a minute. As for the seat i know it was shaved, i can press down on the cover about 2inches and i took it off and saw all the staples in it from being recovered. I was lookin on ebay for a used seat and just cant seem to find one, dealer wants 210 for a new one and i really dont want to pay that much. I plan to upgrade the bike a bit too and am probably going to go with exhaust next, i want it loud and i hear two brothers might be the way to go?

Old 05-22-2007, 09:36 PM

actually considering pulling the muffler off and seeing how it sounds.....

Old 05-22-2007, 09:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Good post Speed, My 05 doesn't have the smell of gas but I never fill it up all the way though. The engine is loud but that normal. Also the seat is definatley a nut bouncer! but welcome.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:52 PM
1st Gear Member

i wouldnt lock your helmet up. just carry it women cant stop staring at it.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:35 AM

Ha, i dont think my gf would be too happy about that! lol, well i found the lock so thanks on that. I pulled the muffler off and man it sounds cool at idle and when u jump on it, however cruising it gets pretty annoying! Im alil worried about that heat blowing slightly towards the tire but im thinking it should be fine? Ill prob end up putting the muffler back on shortly. Any input? Thanks.

Old 05-23-2007, 01:31 AM
1st Gear Member

your going to want to but the muffler back on you could be running real rich or real lean with it off it could cause some damage to the moter with it off. there's a bunch of good ehaust out there for the 636's. personaly i like my ackrapovic on my bike. as for the seat try looking for an aftermarket one like corbin. as for the engine it's normal Kawi's are know for being loud like that try syntic oil the next oil change it will help.

Old 05-23-2007, 04:30 AM
1st Gear Member

I think D&D exhaust is louder then the Two Brothers.

Old 05-23-2007, 04:40 AM

Are you saying that after doing a slip on i will need a tune? Or is no muffler just that big of a difference? Im really struggling to find a seat, all I can find is 05-06 stuff, my nutz are starting to get mad at me lol! I will have to look into all the exhaust choices, this is a whole new world to me coming from my mustang. I guess a KN air filter would be good to do aswell? Ive also had some people tell me they think my bike is lowered, anyway i can verify this?

Quick Reply: Bought a 04 636 have some ?s