bike won't turn over.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 02:15 AM
Default bike won't turn over.

Howdy I'm new to the forum and to sport bikes. I recently purchased a impounded 1995 600r to fix up. Most of the bike is in good shape beyond body damage. When I first got it and put a new battery in it, it turned over but was ruff it sounded like it had a stripped spot it quickly went from ruff to not turning over. I removed the starter and its in good shape. The starter turns but just sounds like its spinning really fast. I was wondering if this is common and what fixing it will entail. I got it to start when the starter was working and its pretty smooth so it will be worth my time to fix it. Any help would be appreciated

Old 09-05-2007, 02:24 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: bike won't turn over.

How did the oil look?
Welcome to the forums

Old 09-05-2007, 02:39 AM
1st Gear Member

sound like the gears are striped where the starter fits in at, not catchin, thats the whiny sound u here when it spins over

Old 09-05-2007, 12:57 PM

Are you sure the solienoid is kicking the armature out?

Old 09-06-2007, 07:33 PM

the oil looks ok not a bunch of shavings in it, the starter doesn't kick the gear out, thats what I first though when I had the problem but i took out the starter and took it apart and nothing is broken. How difficult is it to replace the gears in the case thanks brent

Old 09-06-2007, 09:56 PM
1st Gear Member

My old boss had this happen to his 06 636 and it had less than 1000 miles on it. Turned out that a bolt ahd come loose somewhere under the starter clutch cover. Tightened it up and has been good ever since....

Old 09-07-2007, 12:41 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

On most motorcycles including this onethe gear doesn't kick out. There is a one way clutch inside the transmission case and it may slip sometimes or if the gears are stripped. Find out what the metal shavings are? Steel or bearing material. If it's steel (Magnetic) it's probably the gears of the starter clutch or the transmission from missed shifts etc. If it's non magnetic, it's the main & rod bearing material.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:11 PM

i took the oil pan off the bike there was no metal shavings in the bottom but there is small chunks of rubber material. None of the gears that I can see are stripped or messed up at all. I don't really get how the little clutch works but I think it must be something with that. Thanks

Old 09-08-2007, 03:52 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Chunks of rubber like material. Curious now to know if silicone sealant was used instead of using gaskets.

Old 09-08-2007, 03:46 PM

i don't think the previous owners were the type to try engine work and so far I havn't seen any gaskets that are homemade, the rubber material is black and a little thicker similar to an o ring.

Quick Reply: bike won't turn over.