bike running to rich

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 05:09 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default RE: bike running to rich

The Alt sensor is just a barometric pressure sensor that adjusts the air fuel mixture relative to the altitude and is automatic. The other thing that can affect the mixture is the Inlet Air Temp sensor. If it detects cold air, it will richen the mixture. You don't have any connectors or vacuum lines disconnected do you? The only other option would be a PCIII, but I think it's something else.

Is your Air Filter Clean?

Old 08-09-2007, 05:17 PM

no i don't have any connectors or vacum lines disconnected. If cold air could richen the mix maybe that is the problem the temp here only reaches about 80 or so during the day where as back in florida it was close to 100+ and at night it was 90 or so. Yeah my filter is clean i Installed it about 9 months ago and the bike has only been driven the last four because i shipped out with the military and was unable to drive because i was in basic training and technical training. so the filter is still pretty good and yes i did check it and it looked clean.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:25 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

The intake is free & clear too? No plastic bags stuck, clogging the intake duct? Usually the ECU self adjusts for all the sensor feedback and keeps the mixture around 14.7 to 1. Did you connect the IAT sensor well? double check it. If you have a manual, do the fault code self test. Try putting in the RXP in the tank. It's possible that the fuel has just gone bad from sitting. Get some fresh gas!9 months wll make good gas go bad.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:35 PM

yeah i tried fuel injector cleaner and i have run myabe 3-400 dollars wirth of gas through it since i go t the bike up here 4 months or so agothe intake seems clean, but i will double check it and i will check the iat as soon as i get off work. i will try the fault code as well and i will keep you posted. thanks for everything so far any bit of advice i can get is a greatly appreciated.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:42 PM

I went home and checked the bike while i was on lunch. there is nothing in the intake, the filter is clean and i checked the connections under the tank and they were all good. when i lifted the tank some gas came out of the overflow and there was a little water in it but that is an easy fix and i dont think that will cause it to run rich anyway. I will just bite the bullet and get a power commander and hopefully that will solve my situation all together

I am going to check for service codes tonight will tell what i find

Old 08-10-2007, 02:00 AM

well i just got done with service code reading it flashed three long flashes and four, which if i aint mistaken is for the exuast valve.

Old 08-10-2007, 02:43 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Butyou have a Slip-on. Do you have the little deactivator cam installed? Is it moving freely? The 05-06's had problems with the TPS going bad; maybe that is your problem. That would cause a rich mixture among other problems.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:33 AM

no i dont have a deactivator installed yet i got the slipon for free from a friend and they had not yet started to put the little piece in the kit when he had purchased so i have to fab one up. i havent had any other problems other than a rich mix and a lack of power compared to back home at sea level. but it is something i will check on either way.