Bike doesn't start..Long sitting time.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 05:13 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Bike doesn't start..Long sitting time.

Ok first off, I haven't rode my bike for about 4 months and the poor thing has been sitting outside in the rain. But it was covered the whole time. I started it up and washed it like twice that whole time.

So it's been getting kinda warm again and decided to prep my bike to ride. I had changed the oil and filter. Re-lubed the chain and adjusted the tire and put fresh gas.

For sure the battery was dead at that point so i got a battery charger and hooked it up to the bike while it was connected so I can at least start and let it charge the battery by itself.
The bike was being charged at 100amps and i tried starting the bike with fresh gas in the tank. All it did was turn over.

I noticed things didn't start up the same.

The fuel pump didn't make it's usual priming sound when you put the key in the ON position. Instead I hear like a weird little clicking kind of noise. Also I noticed that there was a cranking noise from the servo trying to turn all the way. the FI light would blink sometimes.

Anyone have any ideas where I can start?

Pleeease help her come back to life

Old 02-24-2010, 07:42 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

charger set to 100 amps aint the same as cold cranking amps. a new battery and a couple of turns of the key to cycle the fuel pump and it should start.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Thats a start, I'm gonna buy a new battery today if it's available.

I also tried setting the charger to 200 amps shortly just to see if it needed more juice. But it just turned over.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Motorcycles and cars have different power requirements, I'm always afraid to hook anything into my bike cause I dont want to fry the electronics. I would charge the battery first and see if you can get it to work with a fresh charge, otherwise replace it, but I wouldnt try starting it off the charger. Otherwise sounds like you got your bases covered, let us know how the battery works out.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:46 AM
1st Gear Member

My opinion, you cooked the battery 100 amps is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much

Old 02-25-2010, 07:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks fellas, I wanted to work on it today but this rain has been annoying.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:40 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hey man if your gonna pay for a new battery, pick up a battery tender for it. it'll be the last battery you buy in a long time.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:05 PM
1st Gear Member

battery tender? i never heard of that..i'm gonna have to do a search on it..also i talked to the sales guy yesterday and he said OEM batteries are better..but it's like double the price. Do you guys got a preference?

Old 02-25-2010, 08:12 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

either one if kept hooked up to a battery tender during winters will last for many years
Yusa is a good battery imo
www.batterytender.com

Old 02-25-2010, 09:47 PM
1st Gear Member

there are only a couple of companies that actually make batteries, they just slap different stickers on them. Any battery is going to be hit or miss but you dont always get more when you pay more.

Quick Reply: Bike doesn't start..Long sitting time.