bike cutting off while riding!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 09:01 PM
Default bike cutting off while riding!

aight...i'm going to milk you motorcycle guru's for all your worth! ...i hope.

today on my way back from lunch i was cruising at about 70mph and my bike shut off...almost like i ran out of gas. the engine went to idle and i was getting nothing from the throttle but a bog. the bike had no gear and no go. i pulled over, put it down to neutral and started her up again. she ran fine for about two more miles until it happened again. i pulled over, hit N, started it fine and took off. the third time it did it, i (while coasting) pulled the clutch, hit the cutoff, geared down to N, started it, popped to fourth, and rode off. it seemed to do it over slight bumps, but i'm not 100% on that.

i changed nothing lately. had half-tank of gas. not overheating...not sure what it is.

could it be spark?
electrical?
fuel filter?

any help would be great!

thanks!

p.s. i was pulling the front wheel up today a bit, but nothing more than before. maybe i knocked something loose?

Old 05-23-2006, 09:13 PM
Default RE: bike cutting off while riding!

I am having a similar problem with my Kawasaki Ninja 250r but when mine kills out, It doesn't start back up right away. I am taking it to the mechanic tonite so I will tell you what he says and maybe it can help you.

Old 05-23-2006, 11:09 PM
1st Gear Member

sounds like your ignition is overheating maybe

Old 05-24-2006, 12:49 AM

thanks for the advice...tom, i'm anxious to hear what your mechanic says.

i'm gonna limp home from work and worry about it this weekend. :/ what a holiday.

Old 05-24-2006, 03:02 AM
Super Moderator

maybe ignition, check your coils and plug wires for signs of over heating, and ovcouse connection.

Old 05-24-2006, 09:24 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Check you Battery Cables for security. Same thing happened to a guy I work with. He took his bike to the shop and they kept it for a week and a half and hadn't even looked at it. I went to help him pick it up and decided to take a look. Tried to start it but not enough juice. So I looked at the terminals and sure enough one was loose and every time it hit a bump, it wanted to die and finally did. Tightened the terminal/ cable and he was riding again. He ended up treating me to Hooters! It was a good day!

Old 05-25-2006, 03:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Definitely sounds like a dying battery or loose connections. Is it slow to start at all, like a weak battery. Maybe your alternator/magneto is on it's way out.

Old 05-25-2006, 07:06 PM

not slow to start at all. i haven't noticed anything wrong or abnormal about it other than it cutting off.

Old 05-26-2006, 03:08 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Check your negative battery terminal, the frame and motor ground. Make sure that they are tight and have good contact.

Old 05-27-2006, 12:07 AM

aight guys.

i've got her ripped apart and there's nothing evidently wrong with her. spark plug wires are all tight, battery terminals are tight, all ground points check out, and the gas tank breathers seem to be fine.

i'm starting to think the tank got some water in it last rain.

Quick Reply: bike cutting off while riding!