bike is acting weird, i need some help asap

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 05:38 AM
Default RE: bike is acting weird, i need some help asap

i called the person i bought it from and he said that the bike does have a jet kit installed and that he never experianced the problem i am. i never noticed it till a few days afyter i rode it in torrential downpoaring rain for 50 miles. but im not saying it wanst there before i got rained on. im just saying i never noticed it till after the fact. ill run the water remover for a tank or 2 and get back t0 you. if that dont solve the problem what should i do?? it does have a jet kit so then it cant be lean i would not think. the bike never backfires if that helps to determine leanness or richness.

Old 08-01-2006, 05:59 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Yeah, try riding it with the Heet for a day and do as mark said just to be sure you don't have a vacuum leak. Are all your hoses connected and not pinched. Also it's very hard to get all the gas/ water out by draining the tank. If it was running fine before the rain then the rain probably has something to do with it. Also check to see that there isn't water down in the sparkplug cap tubes/ cavities on the head, but if you've been riding the bike, it should have evaporated. Check that just in case. Maybe somethings shorting out cause it's wet. A spark crossfire/ misfire will clear up at higher RPM's but miss & cause sluggish response/ power. Water sometimes gets in the sparkplug tubes and shorts the spark to ground. It can even cause a carbon track that the spark can travel through.

Old 08-01-2006, 06:05 AM

iv driven it for like 6 hours, thers no way there is water near the sparkplug holes. like you said it would have evaporated. do i need to remove the gastank to check sparkplugs? and im not sure where he said to check for vaccume leaks

Old 08-01-2006, 06:07 AM

i think if it was an air leak it would do it more when the bike is cold and less when it gets hot cause it would expand and be a tighter fit, no?

Old 08-01-2006, 06:17 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2001ninjaZX6R

iv driven it for like 6 hours, thers no way there is water near the sparkplug holes. like you said it would have evaporated. do i need to remove the gastank to check sparkplugs? and im not sure where he said to check for vaccume leaks.

i think if it was an air leak it would do it more when the bike is cold and less when it gets hot cause it would expand and be a tighter fit, no?

The vacuum leaks would be at the rubber manifold tubes and sometimes the seal up when warm or when cold. If you get a chance, just check the plug caps & tubes just to rule them out. How long have you ridden the bike with the HEET water drier in the tank?

Old 08-01-2006, 08:48 AM
1st Gear Member

well, I did have a leak at my boots on the KZ750. I just finished reinstalling the carbs. I clamped down the boot clamps. The first time I ran the engine, It did run good at started up, but later started running s**ty as it got warmer. The clamps did tighten up quite a bit too, once the engine was warm. I guess the rubber boots just become more pliable when warmed up.

It is very peculiar that the problems seemed to have started after the rain. The boot clamps probably aren't it. I guess I missed the rain part. Did you check the inside condition of your airbox? maybe there's water in there.

Old 08-01-2006, 11:49 PM

i had the airbox apart and cleaned and reoiled the k&N filter. the filter was a filthy mess but the bike is still runing bad after i cleaNED IT. i have not yet driven it with the heet water remover. i am going out for a few hours of rideing now ill be back later

Old 08-02-2006, 05:34 AM

update, im still goign to have to ride tomorrow to finish buring out the tank then i will fill up with fress gas and get back to ya again. should i use water remover in the second fillup?

Old 08-02-2006, 04:07 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Use RXP on the second fill-up. Try to stay away from fuel that has Ethanol but if you can't, then don't let the bike sit for a while or use the water remover.

Old 08-04-2006, 10:18 AM

I'm actually having the pretty much the same problem [:@].. i have 99 zx6r , and when the rpm goes about 5k~6k , the bike won't go anymore than that and i'm starting to lose the power.. i can't go over 50miles . also not only that, the rpm starts to drain down to 4k,3k.. and steady, back and forth 3k4k3k5k..etc, so imma go try the HEET and drain down the carbs... i'll probly take it to my friends shop and have him take a look at it..

Quick Reply: bike is acting weird, i need some help asap