bike is acting weird, i need some help asap

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 07:05 PM
Default RE: bike is acting weird, i need some help asap

well i completly drained all my gas out of the tank and the carbs and refilled with fresh new gas. doesnt do it too bad when cold but when hot it is still hard to get going from a stop. feels like it has no power when trying to get moving initially. once it gets to about 2000 rpm its fine. i can also get it started from a stop by reving much higher and letting out the cluth slower but on my old bike, cbr600 i could let the cluth out with like no throttle and it would have power right from the start. is this a common thing with kawasakis or does my bike have a problem? on the straight roads it is managable but if the road has a slight incline its most noticable

Old 07-31-2006, 03:17 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Your bike has a problem. Was the bike running fine before or was it running like that all the time? Does it have a jet kit installed? Has it sat for a long time? The carbs may need to be removed & thoroughly cleaned. Is the air filter clean? Is it firing/ running on all cylinders? you may have to have an experienced mechanic take a look at it.

Old 07-31-2006, 05:17 AM

i dont remeber if it was running like that before or not. i dont belive it was but im not sure. i just bought it 2 weeks ago and really got to use it yesterday and today. It does have a jet kit installed. i dont belive it sat much. The airfilter is bran new k&N. no cylenders are misfireing. it mearly just feels like it has no power. like not enough power to get itself moving before 2000 rpm in first, but mostly with just a slight incline. like i said once its moving it runs beautiful.
im not sure if i did, or did not get the water out of my carbs, that is if they do have water in them, but not sure. i did drain them but you never know. im going to try a water remover. and see if that helps. if not do you think you have any other clu as to what it might be. whats a good fuel sstem cleaner for carberator bikes? and were can i get it

Old 07-31-2006, 05:27 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

gumout carb cleaner at any local auto parts store. get 3 or 4 cans.

Old 07-31-2006, 05:33 AM

you add that to the gas tank or you spray that itno he carbs with a can. i want something that you add to the gass tank. also they will have water remover right?

Old 07-31-2006, 05:39 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Carb Cleaner Evil's talking about, you have to spray in the carbs. Get RXP & Heet water remover from Autozone & put it in the tank with fresh fuel. How long did the bike sit before you bought it or was the guy riding it all the time? If it sat then you may want to take the carbs apart & clean them with the Gumout.

Old 07-31-2006, 07:35 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

i only say that because i made it routine maintainence to pull the rack off and go through it every 3rd or 4th oil change. ive never had 1/10th the problems most of the guys are having with a carb'd bike. sometimes id rather have carbs then all this efi junk.

Old 08-01-2006, 03:06 AM

how long before the heet water remover works. that is if i do indeed have some water in my carbs how long will it take to get it out.

if the bike only acts the way it does when its at normal operating temperature and not when its cold does that means its a poblem elsewere or can it still infact be the carbs? i donnt know much about carbs so i have no clu if diff operating temperatures affect the carbs. i would think if it was the carbs then it would happen all the time

Old 08-01-2006, 03:30 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Did you drain the carbs? You have to drain the carbs first to get the water out. The HEET will mix with the water in the tank and get burned up when you ride. Carbureted bike are more affected by temperature especially if modified with pipes & K&N filters. If the temp changes a lot, then you have to rejet sometimes. I had the same problem with my old ZX600 Streetbike. This guy at Performance & Design in Oakland made a jetkit from GPZ550 needles and I used them; The bike ran like $#!+. I immediately bought a Dynojet kit, installed it as they recommended and the bike ran perfect. Maybe someone messed with your carbs. You should clean and try to see if the carbs have been modified/ jetkit installed. If not, get one installed. Like I said before, it's hard to troubleshoot without seeing the bike in person. Find out as much info about the bike from the person you bought it from.

Old 08-01-2006, 04:34 AM
1st Gear Member

maybe you're going at it all wrong. If you already drained all your gas out, and still have the same problem, it sounds like it is running way to lean. possibly just a air leak at the intake boots, or, improper jets. Spray some ether on your intake boots to check if the rpm varies, also make sure the intake boot clamps are tight once your engine is fully warmed up. If only tightened when cold, they tend not to seal very well.

Quick Reply: bike is acting weird, i need some help asap