Bent Rim Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 01:38 AM
Default Bent Rim Question

I lost my email address to my last login name for here olympia636 so I have to start all over *shrug* Anyways, Quick story and tell me what you think. 38 days ago I went to the honda dealership (dont start....I dont have a kawi dealership or anything within 80 miles of me) and had them put on new front and rear tires. Tech comes out says brakes look good and I lubed your axle for ya. Im thinking right on...lets ride. Well today I notied my rear brake rotor just didnt look right. I took of the caliper and it was metal to metal yet just 38 days ago my rear brakes where great. So it ruined the Rotor and pads as you could imagine. Well here comes the even bigger problem. I notice a 1/2" bent part of my rear rim lip. No scraches no nothing. the lip is just bent up and in. Not a good sign. I never hit anything, the other side was ok and front rim ok as well. I went to SOUTH SOUND HONDA today and talked with the service manager. He admitted to being wrong about the brakes and they are ordering new factory rear rotor and pads at no cost to me. But he says there is NO WAY IN HELL his techs or his tire machine could of caused this damage. He says it was probably a pot hole. Well, at 42 psi, i would imagine I would have to fall into the darn thing to bend the lip and if that was true, both sides at the exact spot would be damaged. What do you guys think. Can the machine they use case damage like this. Im so careful with this bike.....its not funny. Its seriously my life. Let me know cause its driving me crazy to the point I want to hire a damn lawyer because I KNOW I didnt hit a stupid pot hole that freaking big. He (service manager) even brought out a old rim and threw in as hard as he could on the ground to prove a "point" to me *shrug*. All he did was scrach and dent the damn wheel that had no tire...no proof there. Let me know please. Thanks!!!

Shawn

Old 08-05-2007, 01:52 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Bent Rim Question

I'd try to get the parts from him and take it somehwhere else .......even if it is 80 miles away .After somthin like this I'd have a hard time trustin em to do anything else to my chit . I had a very similar incident a few years ago but with a car , The place was putting new tires on and they scratched the chit outta my rims .I got new rims out of the deal but I will not do buissness with them any more .You might have a hard time proven that they caused the damage with it being so long ago .Always check your chit over after someone has worked on it , before taking delivery or paying for it . Peace

Old 08-05-2007, 01:53 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

The tire machine CAN damage the wheel if it wasn't put on right or over tightened. What kind of tire machine was it? I have bought damaged rims on ebay that were bent by tires machines. If the gut doesn't know what he's doing, it can easkily be damaged. I think the tech was feeling guilty and that't why he mentioned about the lubed axle. It's not necessary. I think he was tying to say, "I screwed you". Make them replace the whole wheel assembly. Tell him it wasn't messed up until you brought it to them. If they screwed up with the brake, they did with the tire machine too. These 636wheels are easy to bend. You're also right about the pothole; both sides would be bent and the tire would show signs too.

Old 08-05-2007, 02:31 AM
mia

the only thing i can tell u is to find someone that has a rim machine that fixes bent rims i have someone that can do it if ur in the miami area but u can contact him at vammotorsports.com his name is vick the number is on the site

Old 08-05-2007, 05:52 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

well, let them know if you hit a pothole while riding, the front rim is usually the first in it and first to get ****$D up.

Old 08-05-2007, 07:18 AM

Well I have a meeting with the "OWNER" next week...and from what I hear he knows all. So this should be fun. Fighting with a POS honda dealership about bending my damn rim. Just seems so simple to me really, Sigh.....I guess at least the brakes and rotor are covered but Im going to fight like hell over this rim. Hell, maybe its time to use my pre paid legal service *smile*

Old 08-05-2007, 07:43 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

just be civil, dont be a dick about it. let him know your knowlege on the machines ability to destroy a rim if its not set right, ask him if his tech is certified to use such machine. good luck man.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:25 AM

oh ya for sure. being a dick will get me no where. Even thou I know they did it...I have to convince them they did lol

Old 08-05-2007, 01:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Yepthat would be the key to your success .

Old 08-06-2007, 03:49 AM
1st Gear Member

My buddy has a VFR800, and our local Honda stealer bent the **** out of his rim. Then put a nice gouge on the other one. After getting Honda USA involved, and a months worth of back and forth he got two new rims.

Quick Reply: Bent Rim Question