Battery Problem??!!??

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 02:56 PM
Default Battery Problem??!!??

Hey Guys New Rider here ....I Just purchased an 07 Zx6r 3500miles(for $5000) The Price was too good to pass up, never dropped raced or stunted.. sexy looking bike...But the problem is sometimes it wont start...The guy said he changed the battery in March....This is the problem i would start the bike and ride it around a parking lot by my house practicing learning my gears and clutch control(never stalled)...Then i get home park it up, turn the key to check my leds then turn it back off, and maybe turn it on again, because i'm obsessed with the bike lol...Then i would try to start it and i would hear a clicking sound, and the bike won't start, pretty depressing..I went out and bought a voltometer and the voltage when dead is 12.3, so then i would jump start it and then the vltage would read 14.0+....then i would check when the bike is off and it would read somewhere around 12.5+...So i have no idea why the battery goes dead and wont start my bike??? THanks

Old 05-08-2010, 03:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Watch out when jump starting your ride, a bikes electrical system can not handle the raw power a car can produce at times. if you have to jump it make sure the car is off so you dont fry anything. Best bet is to get a battery charger or even a tender/maintainer if you have the time (you need one anyway for winter) and charge the battery, then let the battery do its thing.

One of the most important rules of riding is never trust someone else's work. You should be able to tell by looking if its actually a new battery or not. Also make sure its topped off to the fill line and you may be able to have it tested somewhere to see if its still good.

Check the voltage when the bike is running, you should see around 14v (anything above 13 should be ok). If you dont see that try reving it just a little to get the voltage up. If you bike isnt producing enough power you will need to troubleshoot the charging system, there is a step by step in your repair manual.

If the charging system is good and your battery is good then your next step would be to check for shorts in the ride draining your power. You can monitor your voltage before and after every ride to see if it drops or you can also disconnect the battery after your ride to make sure its not draining through the system. Try it for a week or so then leave it connected and see if the problem returns. If it does you may have an electrical gremlin somewhere but since your not blowing fuses, thats probably not the case.

Welcome to KF! Let us know what you find.

Old 05-08-2010, 04:31 PM

Hey Thanks (PrOM). Didn't expect to get a response so quickly...Ill Deffinately get on top of that. I think my first step ill go out and ge that charger/maintainer. And Now that you mentioned Fues, the jacket that came with the bike did have a fuse in the pocket(hmmm) lol...

Old 05-08-2010, 06:58 PM
1st Gear Member

No problem brotha, get some pics up when you can

Old 05-10-2010, 04:15 PM

Just bough a $20 (on sale from $30) Die Hard Charger/Maintainer From Sears... So far seems to be the answer. Charged it up over night, until the light turned green then unplugged it., checked the voltage 12.8 steady, checked the voltage again in 20mins 12.8V. Took the bike out for a spin in the parking lot, Stalled a couple times>(I was practicing starting on a small hill LOL) Started back up No problem everytime...I'll keep you posted..

Ps..The Easy clipons that come with the battery charger are a life savor..

Name:  IMAG0004.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  95.4 KB

Old 05-10-2010, 10:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey hey hey, at least you got it running! Did you check the charging system yet? Great looking ride, keep the shiny side up

Old 05-11-2010, 02:23 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Nice looking ride!
How was the fluid level in the old battery? For such a new ride, it was probably empty and could not keep a charge. Congrats on being ahead of the game by using a trickle. As mentioned, time to concentrate on gearing up some more.
Welcome to KF

Old 05-12-2010, 02:20 PM

I didn't Get around to checking to charging system yet, Rite now i got it hooked up to A DIe Hard Battery Charger?maintainer, wanted the battery Tender plus but couldnt find it anyway, think it matters?.....And Dragon the battery i have has a strip on top that says DO NOT REMOVE lol, Do i remove that to check the levels?(NOOB lol)

Old 05-12-2010, 05:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Depends on your battery, not sure what you got but most bike batteries are serviceable, meaning you need to open them up and add some distilled water from time to time. You should have a fluid level indicator on the battery. Mine is semi-opaque so you can see the level all around. If its low fill it to the line.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:08 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by fatalbert234
I didn't Get around to checking to charging system yet, Rite now i got it hooked up to A DIe Hard Battery Charger?maintainer, wanted the battery Tender plus but couldnt find it anyway, think it matters?.....And Dragon the battery i have has a strip on top that says DO NOT REMOVE lol, Do i remove that to check the levels?(NOOB lol)

which means that you have a sealed battery
You can still peek at the fluid levels generally on even sealed batteries. If not, peel off the tape and take a peek along with an electrolyte reading. No biggey

Quick Reply: Battery Problem??!!??