Anyone elses hands go numb after just a few minutes of riding?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 05:12 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Anyone elses hands go numb after just a few minutes of riding?

Welcome Tink.

On long trips it is easiest to get into a full lean, and then you can rest your left hand anytime and use the above mentioned palm on the throttle.

Sport bikes were not made for comfort; they are aggressive tail up and node down ridding.

Ridding position should be holding one with your legs and using your back muscles to keep you up right. Putting your weight on your arms is just going to lead to sore wrist and numb hands. Steering inputs are the only weight that should be applied to your bars, that is the way the bike likes it too.

Some people think that you have to have weight on the front of the bike while ridding and it is just not true, unless you are under hard acceleration and you are trying to compensate for the front coming up. For proof next time you enter a long sweeping turn like a onramp, once you get the bike leaned in and are going through the turn let go of your bars, you have to hold the throttle but just use 2 fingers, the bike will continue to turn and you should only have to make some steering adjustments to get through the turn.

So remember hold on with your legs and use your lower body to support your weight.

Ride safe and don’t forget the gear.

Old 07-19-2006, 05:22 AM

Just getting a little closer to the tank and gripping that helped me, just a little finger tingle is all and that's because these bikes are soooo buzzy. That and not keeping a death grip unless I'm going down hill (that hwy 9 is brutal but probably not as bad as the stuff I use to ride). Now advil for my neck before I go and when I come back and I'm set

Old 07-19-2006, 05:25 AM
Super Moderator

If you have a lot of vibration, buzzing, in your bars try getting weighted bar ends they will reduce the vibration a lot.

Old 07-19-2006, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

You got it NS.... Weighted bar ends made a huge difference in mine. I went up to a 28oz end, and also a gel hand grip. aaaahhhhh, it is nice. Gotta love Ebay..

Old 07-19-2006, 07:42 AM

I bought the gel gloves right off because I knew this would be a problem. Is Olympic the only company that makes them or is there better?

Old 07-19-2006, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

I do not know about the brand gloves of one being better over the other. What helped my hands on those 400-500 miles rides was the gel bar grips... IE: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawas...QQcmdZViewItem

Of course, the super bikes are not designed to take 500 mile trips real comfortabley

Get the weighted bar ends, some good gel grips, and you should be good to go...After moving up to a heavier end on my 10, it made a big difference. They do help to take that "buzz" out...

Old 07-19-2006, 08:25 AM

Oh, the whole grip is gel. I'll get a pair if they make them in black. Thanks!

Old 07-19-2006, 08:56 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I rode from Minnesota to Texas (about 1000 miles) only stopping for gas & nature breaks and my RH (Couldn't really take them off to reat for long) buzzed from the vibration for 2 days. I didn't have any problems with it going numb though. As NS said, I was trying to support my weight with my back; However, I was going faster and the wind pressure on my chest helped support my weight off my wrists/ Hands. There is a product for touring bikes called the throttle rocker which may help. It spreads the weight over the entire palm instead of just the edge. I am now also having a little bit of problems with my hands, especially the RH. The left you can rest while cruising. Since I got the Double Bubble windshield, the wind pressure doesn't hit my chest anymore so that support is gone.

There is another trick you can try; loosen the clamp pinch bolts of the handlebars (There's a little bit of slop once you loosen everything) and either pull them back or push them forward as feels better & retighten. Also for those of you that have raised your forks to lower the bike, you may be able to relocate the Clip-ons above the triple clamp as long as you gave clearance when you turn the bars. I might try the Gel grips or larger diameter/ fatter grips to see if it helps.

Old 07-19-2006, 09:51 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

so x, you ever do a double stranger jk bro. most people knotice it more than i do but i rarly have a grip on the clip ons. try relaxing like ns mentioned.

Old 07-19-2006, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

I have these weighted bar ends and the throttle control. When I used to commute it was nice to be able to set the throttle and use the left hand and rest the right.
Have to able to change up and give the rt a rest LOL

Sorry forgot the link http://www.throttlemeister.com/ [sm=icon_guiness.gif]

Quick Reply: Anyone elses hands go numb after just a few minutes of riding?