Anyone elses hands go numb after just a few minutes of riding?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 08:59 PM
Default Anyone elses hands go numb after just a few minutes of riding?

I am use to the old full handlebar bikes, these clip-ons never felt natural to me. The angle is so brutal my hands go numb after just a few minutes of riding (maybe 20?) and that can't be good. Is it ok if this happens or after a few months/years does something go wrong with those nerves?

Old 07-18-2006, 09:12 PM
Default RE: Anyone elses hands go numb after just a few minutes of riding?

thats not good i knew someone that kept ridint after his hands went numb for about 4 hours and when he was done riding ever since he has no feeling in his hands.......j/k mine does that too one in a while and all i do is just throttle up a bit and then release my hand and stretch it out then repaeat for the other hand

Old 07-18-2006, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator

It has to do with your ridding position. The bars are not for resting your weight on,
You need to get your weight off the bars, applying extra weight is also affecting your suspension as well but that is another discussion.

Use your legs and back to hold on to the bike there should be very little pressure on the bars. Also on long rides I will release the throttle with may hand and rest the bottom of my palm on it to hold the throttle open, this allows me to relax and give my grip a rest.

Bottom line is adjust your ridding position and get your weight off the bars.

Old 07-18-2006, 09:44 PM

OK. I'll have to try to find a way to take my weight off my hands. I am only 5'7" with a normal torso and arm lengths but this is still very harder for me to do. I find that if I take the weight off my hands my back is taking all the weight and it gets tired quick.

I can't ride right now, I can only sit on the bike and see how to reposition. It feels like I have to really hug the tank with my thighs and knees and maybe take some salt peter for that frisky tank feeling. Is this more correct?

Old 07-18-2006, 09:59 PM

Does j/k mean just kidding? Well I guess it does because there is no way you could stretch a single ride out to 4 hours straight unless your doing 35mph or something. But that is really what I expect happens. I use to mountain bike so I know this gets worse and worse faster and faster unless I do something about it quick.

Old 07-18-2006, 10:40 PM
1st Gear Member

i had a problem like that...till i dropped my arms down

Old 07-18-2006, 11:32 PM

nonstock is telling you right bro. it is all about the rider position. use to have the same problem untill i made adjustments in my position

Old 07-19-2006, 12:44 AM

ya what notstock said sounds about right

Old 07-19-2006, 04:34 AM

Hi there. I have the same problem. I have the disadvantage of being 5'5" as well as being a girl so I think I probably have shorter arms than most guys. I came to this forum hoping to find suggestions on what I could do. So you say to modify my riding position. How exactly do you suggest I do that? I was thinking of getting some heli bars but they don't make it for my bike ('05 ZX 636) or at least they didn't earlier this spring. Does anyone have any suggestions of other brands of bars I could try? I really love my bike and don't want to have to sell it for something more comfortable. I like to ride on longer trips and can't see myself doing it with the bike the way it is.

Old 07-19-2006, 05:06 AM

everyone i know there hands go numb. just let your hand hang for a few seconds. your not getting good blood flow to your hand, cause of the presure on the bars. I dont think its something you can avoid on the kind of bike that we ride.

Quick Reply: Anyone elses hands go numb after just a few minutes of riding?