any one know much about filling a insurnce claim

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 06:43 PM
The Dude
1st Gear Member
Default any one know much about filling a insurnce claim

Well I had an acident on sunday. There is a thread about it on the off topic section. I'm am wondering how the insurnce deals with claims. How easy it is to total out a bike. I don't want my bike totaled. From looking over the bike the frame is good its not even scratched the forks seem stright still. The bike rides stright still. Looking over the bikes damage, it will need all new fairings the whole way round. tail section left and right side upper faiting stay bracket headlamp housing mirrors blinkers and possible left side clip on. The bike starts and runs fine. I rode it home after the accident. The tank will need to be replaced also it has three small dents on it. Looking at kelly blue book the trade in value of the bike shows as 4k and the retail price is showing mid 5k. cycle trader has the avg price set at 5.5k with a low of 4.5k and high of 6k. Any one have any clue on how much damage needs to be done to total it out? Like I said i don't want the bike totaled. Here are some pics
Name:  DSC03571.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  141.2 KB
Name:  DSC03565.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  106.1 KB

Yes I am fine just a little sore on my left side.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:00 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: any one know much about filling a insurnce claim

Hi
Glad to hear you're ok
I believe the rule-of-thumb in "totalling" a vehicleis: the damage exceeds 80% of the Fair Market Value (but I may be wrong on that).
Your claims adjusterwill let you know if you ask
You may retain the "salvage" if you like and out the money into repairing it yourself
I believe though, that the title will be amended to show it was "totalled" at one point which will probably affect your ability to sell it
Dave

Old 09-03-2007, 10:25 PM
1st Gear Member

What's your deductable? Might be better off piecing it back together than deal with getting your rates hiked up to hell and back. I have never made a claim due to this very aspect of insurance.

Shoot, I'll make you a deal on everything BUT the tank since I am prepping mine for track use. Even have a left side mirror too! About the only things I don't have available is the clip on (and that make even come available if I go the Woodcraft route...), fairing stay and right mirror.

Old 09-04-2007, 04:36 AM
The Dude
1st Gear Member

my deductable is 500. looking around at bikes in this area i only found two ninjas of my model for sale one a silver 03 was going for 5700. the other was a 04 it was going for 5500. i have state farms for my insurance i belive the have a one accident leway type thing. right now my rate is 57 a month. i will keep you posted about the parts thank you for the offer.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:27 PM

yea, looks liek ur bike will be totalled. an oem tank is like 700 bux. depending if it was your fault or not (whatever it says on your police report) your rate wont go up.. thats if it goes through the other persons insurance. i would have told the cop some car pulled out infront of me and kept on driving. in ny thats called no fault

Old 09-04-2007, 05:48 PM
The Dude
1st Gear Member

That is what happened. A truck towing a boat went wide on a corner. So i hit the branks and went to the side of the road hit dirt and went down. the truck kept going didn't even stop.
ORIGINAL: CRAZY

yea, looks liek ur bike will be totalled. an oem tank is like 700 bux. depending if it was your fault or not (whatever it says on your police report) your rate wont go up.. thats if it goes through the other persons insurance. i would have told the cop some car pulled out infront of me and kept on driving. in ny thats called no fault

Old 09-04-2007, 05:58 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

man if you had his plate # you would be sitting pretty right now

Old 09-04-2007, 08:12 PM
1st Gear Member

You need to check your local laws before deciding which way to go with this. More than likely the insurance co will total it if you turn it in, and in my experience, a single vehicle accident is going to go down as failure to maintain control, and that WILL count against you. It's the primary reason I have paid out of pocket to repair my own when I have goone down.

Just the tank, mirrors, plastics, and fairing stay will pretty much total it out believe it or not. Seen it happen MANY times before! Question is, do you want to try to piece it together on your own or deal with the rates down the road.

Here is a for example.... You can get a smoking deal on a full set of plastics, headlight and everything, and be out $1500 at the most, or you claim it and either get it totalled and do a buy back and THEN fix it, or pay your deductible and get it fixed. Problem there is the question of just how much your rates are going to go up.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:03 PM
The Dude
1st Gear Member

just talked to the insurence people and they are sending some one out to look at the bike and said the accident will not effect my rates.

Old 09-05-2007, 11:12 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: any one know much about filling a insurance claim

Start looking for replacement parts. When the insurance co looks at the damage they will assume that you will be taking it somewhere for repair, and that'll be factored into the claim. If they say it will cost 5K to fix, and you can prove that it'll take only cost 3K if you do it they may not total your bike. A friend of mine got hit on his bike, and the insurance tried to total his ride, he found that he found all the parts to fix his ride, and came in $4200 less than the dealer, and got to keep his bike.

Quick Reply: any one know much about filling a insurnce claim