About to buy a ZX6R - need some help

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 04:30 AM
Default About to buy a ZX6R - need some help

bout to buy my first bike. 04 zx6rvery low miles it was barely ridden...rides like brand new.

my only concern about the bike is the front end seems extremely sensitive. the handle bars want to turn and follow every small curve/dent in the road, gets pretty shakey (not even speeding). is this common for these bikes (and would a steering damper fix this?). i've ridden several gixxers (600's and thousands) and my buddys 03 zx6rr and none of them feel this wobbley.

any info/advice on this please let me know. sorry if my description isnt the greatest i'm not the most experienced with bikes.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:56 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: About to buy a ZX6R - need some help

Adjusting the suspension could help. I used to feel weird stuff like that when I first bought my bike as well, I don't even notice anymore.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:11 AM

possibility. belongs to a captain here on base and her husband is the one doing the business end of the deal. he said she rides slow as crap, its had a couple out of state trips on the bike, she rides it slow as hell, etc... so i'm sure no adjustments have been made. only thing he said hes done isthe undertail and oil changes.

the steering just doesnt seem as firm as any of the other bikes i've ridden on. just making sure no one feels this is a mechanical problem. i'll probably end up putting a damper on it at some point. is there any possibility that maybe she ran it into a curb or somethingand bent the forks a little bit? how would i check for that?

Old 04-16-2008, 05:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Personally i would have the bike taken and get it inspected by a mechanic. I think that it is worth the money. Remeber these are "super sport" bikes and they are ment to go fast and be stable no matter what speed your at.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:55 AM
1st Gear Member

I would have to agree w/ Grim... If there is something worng with the forks they would most likely have a broken seal which an inspention would find. If you're sure you're going to buy this bike take it in and get it checked out, it shouldn't cost that much (I got my local dealer to inspect mine on a private party sale for nothing.)That will give you piece of mind or let you know you don't want the bike.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:06 AM

i highly doubt anythings mechanically wrong with the bike i'm sure he would have informed me (military thing. hes a reservist tech sgt his wifes a captain on my base). if he lied i'd have no problem getting something done about it by his/her commander.

still i'll have it looked at, it would be worth the piece of mind. would a kawasaki dealer be the best place to go? i dont know of any bike performance shops in the area. i try to avoid stealerships if possible.

i guess i should rephrase though its not shakey (like the bars dont jitter or anything) just feels very very sensitive. probably just the nature of the bike compared to what i've ridden but i dunno.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Dumb question but thought I'd ask just in case... Tire pressure ok?

Old 04-16-2008, 01:26 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MU71L4710N

possibility. belongs to a captain here on base and her husband is the one doing the business end of the deal. he said she rides slow as crap, its had a couple out of state trips on the bike, she rides it slow as hell, etc... so i'm sure no adjustments have been made. only thing he said hes done isthe undertail and oil changes.

the steering just doesnt seem as firm as any of the other bikes i've ridden on. just making sure no one feels this is a mechanical problem. i'll probably end up putting a damper on it at some point. is there any possibility that maybe she ran it into a curb or somethingand bent the forks a little bit? how would i check for that?
could also be the tires. some tires like to follow the contour of the road more than others.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:54 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

or the tire was changed and a smaller tire was put on.