636 knock?? tick??? idk!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 01:59 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: 636 knock?? tick??? idk!!!

hhmmm this could be a good way to find out the weakest link in the motor fo sho. i could never do that to my girl[:'(]how did that song go? nene ne ne ne
ORIGINAL: jlb

Ride that bad girl HARD. I mean hard. If it still does it.....bounce it off of the rev limiter once or twice in quick succesion. Should reset/reseat the tentioner.
Now when I said ride her hard....that meant red lining on a track for a quick burst.
If no track is around......let her warm up good...and like I said bounce her off once or twice and that should do the trick.
Let me know how it worked.

Old 09-19-2007, 07:38 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

You have no money for a gasket set and you're going to tear down the whole motor?????? That may be more time consming and expensive than a gasket set.Isthe sounda tick or a knock? Have you checked your valve clearances? Is the bike running fine/ smooth? It could also be an exhaust leak that could make it sound like a tick or knock. Tighten your header collar bolts.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:57 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Hopefully there is not a stiff link in the chain!!!!!! Before you tear into the engine.

Old 09-20-2007, 06:29 PM

ORIGINAL: speedracer138

You have no money for a gasket set and you're going to tear down the whole motor?????? That may be more time consming and expensive than a gasket set.Isthe sounda tick or a knock? Have you checked your valve clearances? Is the bike running fine/ smooth? It could also be an exhaust leak that could make it sound like a tick or knock. Tighten your header collar bolts.
i have money for the set, i just dont wanna break into this thing. i pulled the engine last night. took the head off and theres nothing wrong with it. looks as it should... ill be taking the oil pan off to examin the crank, maybe i can get to the bearings without cracking the case.

ya can feel the engine shake when it knocks. its hard to explain. ill have it figured out soon... i hope

Old 09-22-2007, 05:01 AM

would a broken clutch plate make a knocking noise??? there were pieces chillin in my oil pan. found one of the plates broken????

Old 09-23-2007, 08:46 PM

ok, well, its not the clutch plate! got the engine back in last night to find it was still knocking... blaaahhhh this **** sux!

Old 09-23-2007, 09:14 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Man, you outta be on a Race Team pit crew. Removing, tearing down, rebuilding/ inspecting,assembling, reinstalling enginesand running them in such a short time! Hard to say what it could be without listening to it myself. Were only going by what is most common; ususally valves & CCT on these.

Old 09-23-2007, 10:46 PM

haha, the first time i took the engine out a few days ago, it took about 3 hours. now, it takes me like 45-1 hour. i havnt cracked the case yet. im not looking foreward too it. so ill just be doing the simpleish things first!

Old 09-24-2007, 05:13 AM

So it's normal for the lifters to tick? My bike just hit 2700 miles and I noticed around 2400 that it started making a tick noise. I let my friend ride it and he said it sounded like the lifters of valves but said it's quite normal for a broken in bike? Is this true or do I need to take it to the dealer? I didn't notice a performance decrease, it's just it doesn't sound as "smooth" as it did new.

Old 09-24-2007, 01:05 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

These are High Performance bikes/ motors and the walls are thin on the whole engine to save weight and so the sound gets tranmitted more. The first time I heard my bike (03 636) I thought it was knocking too but that is normal. You will hear the valves tickif they are loose and sometimes it's just the normal metallic click. My Really old 85 ZX600R was much quieter. It's normal for the new ikes to make a lot of engine noise especially because there is even less fairings to muffle the noise compared to the older bikes. Heck, mine sound like a diesel sometimes. They do rattle.

So, the noise may be normal unless there is a distinct KNOCK.

Quick Reply: 636 knock?? tick??? idk!!!