636 knock?? tick??? idk!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 04:55 PM
Default 636 knock?? tick??? idk!!!

ok, i bought the bike about a month or so ago, it had valve tap. i know its normal. it didnt bother me at all. well today i go to clutch up a standie, and i hear a click. then the tap got loud as my girl screaming when i put it in her ***. (not really but it got a lot louder)

anyone know what it is??? i brought it home and took the valve cover off and it looks minty fresh? i dont see anything wrong in there.

also, i took the throttle bodies off and looked inside the intake ports, on cylinder 1, theres some carbon build up on the top of the valve...

the bikes only got like 7500 miles on it............

help!!!

Old 09-16-2007, 05:08 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: 636 knock?? tick??? idk!!!

these bikes are notorious for the cam chain tensioner to go bad and stretch and i have seen them even break over time, u might want to take the bike to the shop and have a mechanic inspect it for u, also could be from low octane, these bikes like premiunm gas due to the high compression motors, also take a look at your oil to see if it's to the proper oil level on the oil screen on the clutch cover

Old 09-16-2007, 05:25 PM

ORIGINAL: 768 Ryda

these bikes are notorious for the cam chain tensioner to go bad and stretch and i have seen them even break over time, u might want to take the bike to the shop and have a mechanic inspect it for u, also could be from low octane, these bikes like premiunm gas due to the high compression motors, also take a look at your oil to see if it's to the proper oil level on the oil screen on the clutch cover
i took the valve cover off, the cam chain looks fine. its tight, not broken either... i use 93 all the time. and my oil is where its supposed to be! like i said, i heard a click... a pretty loud one, and now the upper half is tickin pretty good............. im thinking about taking it to my local bike shop tomorrow unless i can get an answer!

Old 09-16-2007, 06:54 PM
jlb

Ride that bad girl HARD. I mean hard. If it still does it.....bounce it off of the rev limiter once or twice in quick succesion. Should reset/reseat the tentioner.
Now when I said ride her hard....that meant red lining on a track for a quick burst.
If no track is around......let her warm up good...and like I said bounce her off once or twice and that should do the trick.
Let me know how it worked.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:59 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Since you had the valve cover off, it would have been a good time to check the valve lash at the same time.

Old 09-16-2007, 07:36 PM

whats valve lash? its still off...

Old 09-16-2007, 07:37 PM

ORIGINAL: jlb

Ride that bad girl HARD. I mean hard. If it still does it.....bounce it off of the rev limiter once or twice in quick succesion. Should reset/reseat the tentioner.
Now when I said ride her hard....that meant red lining on a track for a quick burst.
If no track is around......let her warm up good...and like I said bounce her off once or twice and that should do the trick.
are u serious? how would that help get rid of that tick/knock or whatever?

Old 09-16-2007, 07:40 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jlb

Since you had the valve cover off, it would have been a good time to check the valve lash at the same time.
I don't think bouncing the engine to redline is such a good idea especially if it is a knock. Like Dragone said, check the valve adjustment since you have the cover off anyway. You can install a manual Cam chain tensioner ($50 on ebay or $70 from the dealer). These engines do make a tapping, knocking type noise when the cam chain gets loose and the stock tensioner can't ratchet past that one click to take up the slack. You can use a long screwdriver and listen for where the knock is coming from by putting the tip against different part of the engine and the handle to your ear (Like a stethescope) or get an automotive stethescope. Put in against the cam chain tensioner and listen. If you don'r want to get a manual tensioner, you can try taking the slack out of the stock one by first: taking the RH timing cover off and rotating the engine clockwise. Then try going back & forth to see how much play is there by watching the movement & the cams. Second: You can SLIGHTLY loosen the cam Chain tensioner bolts maybe only 1/2 to one rotation, turn the crank clockwiseand retighten. DO NOT loosen more that 1 turn or it will be too tight when you reinstall it.

Now it the knock doesn't go away and it not the valve clearance or cam chain, it could be a rod knock and if you bounce it off redline, the rod will leave (run away)yourengine through the bottom of thecrank case because you're mean to your bike.

Old 09-16-2007, 07:48 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CRAZY

whats valve lash? its still off...
Using your feeler gauges, check the valve adjustment. Your manual will have the required specs for them.

Concerning the CCT, with the engine off, you can also place the ride in 6th gear, hold in the clutch and roll the ride backwards and pop the clutch. Kinda like doing a reverse bump start. Do that a few times.

Old 09-16-2007, 08:06 PM

I vote lifter tick. FTL
Its a ninja just like dsm's they are bound to do it.

Quick Reply: 636 knock?? tick??? idk!!!