2006 636 oil change

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 08:31 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: 2006 636 oil change

First, Welcome to the club!

Second, Don't let some ***-clowns tell you to give up and go to the dealer. Learning to turn your own wrench will save you hundreds and maybe even thousands of dollars in labor.

One thing I will say is use the search, chances are it's been covered already.

Here is a link to a topic where I laid out step by step how to change the oil. Try it for yourself, it's easy and good to know how to do.

Whatever you do, don't listen to this guy:

dont forget to torque that oil plug. oh...and hopefully you got an oil filter with a socket wrench bolt on end so you can torque it. i had to pound a philips screwdriver thru the stocker since it didnt have one and i am not superman. (it was too late in the night to go get an oil filter wrench )
There is no need for torqueing an oil filter or drain plug. The drain plug stops at the end like a plumbers fitting and the filter goes on hand tight and then 3/4 turn more. That is what those washers are for.

Old 08-01-2006, 03:55 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default RE: 2006 636 oil change

Yeah, 05ZX6R's right. You gotta learn somewhere. I suggest that you get a Manual and start reading. Even your owners manual and go out and look at your bike closely. That's how I learned. I even worked for free at a bike shop just to learn.

There actually is a recommended torque for the oil drain plug (22 ft lbs) and oil filter (23 ft lbs) but most people do not use a torque wrench on them. Just make sure that the drain bolt & filter are tight & secure. Be sure to use the aluminum washer and make sure the oil filter seal came off with the old filter and that the new one has one on it also. Put a film of oil on the seal before installation. You probably will need an oil filter wrench to remove the old filter and you can use it to secure the new one. Be sure to tighten the clamp back around the filter. Your filler cap is on the upper aft RH side of the clutch cover. Your bike takes 3.6Liters/ Qts of oil with the filter removed.