2005 Fuel leaking from gas cap area?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 06:39 PM
Default 2005 Fuel leaking from gas cap area?

Fist off, I am terribly sorry to create a thread for this, but didnt find this specific question discussed.

2005 Ninja 636
I am not topping off the bike too much, but I am having a small amount of fuel leak from the cap, down toward the drivers seat each time I drive it when it has over half a tank. Is it supposed to be able to overflow at the top or something? It's not a serious amount of fuel, but enough to make me aggrivated that I just polished the paint and has is leaking down the back side.

Am I supposed to open a valve on the bike to allow it to drain under the bike, or is it supposed to be doing this on it's on? If I accelerate hard at all, fuel is running toward my belt, but very lightly. Should I get the tank/cap warrantied? Any responses are greatly appreciated, and again I apologize for creating this thread if it is something already known and something thats supposed to be happenning.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:11 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: 2005 Fuel leaking from gas cap area?

I've noticed that on my buddies bike, too. Seems like a pressure issue and it's creating some kind of vacuum affect. Not sure how to go about fixing it, maybe a vacuum line in the tank is blocked or something, dunno.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:30 PM
1st Gear Member

not to mention the obvious, but why not try getting a new gasket... I'm sure the stealership will only charge an arm and let you keep the leg... if you're lucky maybe only a hand...[sm=headbang.gif]

Old 08-01-2007, 09:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Ihaven't had that problem on my 05...I'm really no help just wanted another post .

Old 08-01-2007, 11:56 PM
1st Gear Member

you posting *****!!![sm=bustedsign.gif]

Old 08-02-2007, 04:35 AM

Ahhh![:@]

I really was hoping this was something that was supposed to be happening... Guess I need to make another visit for a gasket, now that I just got done paying $68.00 for a right foot peg. Not the assembly, nor the little "feeler nut" at the bottom, just the peg itself![&o]

I'm about to look through the owners manual right now and find out if the little plastic screw/**** thing just inside the left black fender piece has something to do with an adjustment to let the tank breathe.

Hey! While we're at it, I have one more question...
I am thinking/hoping it is simply the extremely low gearing in 1st & second gears, but do your bikes make a good bit of racket going into and out of 1st and 2nd gears??? Makes terrible racket, but I am used to noisy performance clutches on cars where chatter is a good thing... I'm just making sure I don't need this thing seriously inspected. Again, this thing only had 1,500 miles when I got it, and only has close to the 1,900 miles mark right now. I expect some small flaws, because nothing is perfect, but I want to get warrantied what will, if it needs it.

The bike doesn't (& didnt when I bought it) even have dust on the wheels. It's insane how well this guy seems to have taken care of this bike. He bought it in Jan 05 off the show room floor, and chromed the wheels and swing arm, and some other chrom accents along with chrome sliders etc... I'm just confused as to why these problems wouldnt have been fixed for as well as it seems to have been taken care of. He doesnt seem to have really even driven the thing though. He averaged well under 50 miles a month, driving time.

Old 08-02-2007, 04:46 AM
1st Gear Member

I have an 05 as well and I have never had any problem with the fuel leaking from the cap. When preassure builds up in my tank you can hear a whistling escaping from the gas cap......do you hear this sound?

As for switching gears from first to second I don't get any noticable racket, in fact it is pretty smooth. Sorry I can't be any more of a help. Small items like this are frustrating i know[:@].

Old 08-02-2007, 05:38 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Check your vacuum & breather lines in the back &below the tank to see that they aren't blocked/ pinched.
That's a lot of money for pegs. Ebay has them for $20 a set in different colors too.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:26 AM
1st Gear Member

my 03 makes some noise when shifting from 1st to 2nd... nothing i worry about...

Old 08-02-2007, 11:40 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LookN2Find

Hey! While we're at it, I have one more question...
I am thinking/hoping it is simply the extremely low gearing in 1st & second gears, but do your bikes make a good bit of racket going into and out of 1st and 2nd gears??? Makes terrible racket, but I am used to noisy performance clutches on cars where chatter is a good thing... I'm just making sure I don't need this thing seriously inspected. Again, this thing only had 1,500 miles when I got it, and only has close to the 1,900 miles mark right now. I expect some small flaws, because nothing is perfect, but I want to get warrantied what will, if it needs it.
maybe you just aren't used to the sound of dog engagement slapping into place?

Quick Reply: 2005 Fuel leaking from gas cap area?