05 ZX6R Engine cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 03:12 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 05 ZX6R Engine cutting out

Ok so I got a steal on my bike and it runs good and all that ****... the problem that I am having is that after about an hour and a half or so or about approximately 60 miles the bike starts acting up. I will be riding and the bike will just cut off. At first it will start cutting out but still going and then cut off. I can turn the key off and on and start it and it will go for a minute and just cut off again. If I pull over and let it just idle it will idle fine and even rev fine but when I start riding again it does the same thing. It will eventually stop acting up after a while and then it will ride fine. Weird **** but I have a su****ion that it is a fuel pump but I am not a motorcycle mechanic I just know cars. If anyone could steer me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:23 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Bump for the new member.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:24 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Is it just shutting off like no power or is it bogging like its starving from gas? That will lead us down the right path.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
Is it just shutting off like no power or is it bogging like its starving from gas? That will lead us down the right path.
Also sorry to be a bitch, but how long does it take to start up again, and do your lights on your instrument panel stay on when the bike dies?

Old 10-27-2008, 10:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Deej it feels like it could be starving for gas but it is not bogging down. It will ride fine... I can get on it no problem whatsoever. It just seems like after a while of riding it just cuts off and when I am riding it will not completely turn off it will just hesitate whether I am giving it a lot of throttle or not just like it starts jumping. It will do this jumping thing for a few times and then it will completely shut off. Then I have to turn the key off and on and start it again. It seems to get progressively worse. It is hard to explain but hopefully you get the idea.
Bottlecap its all good man... the lights stay on and I just turn the key off and on and let the pump re-cycle and it will start up again(sometimes even before I have to pull over). Sometimes I will have to hold down the electric starter for about 5-10 seconds or so before it starts up. Almost like the pump has to pressurize again. Let me know if that helps out and if not I can try to be more specific.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:22 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

so measure the pump pressure, or measure how much fuel is pumped? Although, when it acts up, that would be kinda tough to check.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:43 AM
1st Gear Member

yeah it only acts up intermittently and I have no idea when it is going to pull that shat on me. I am kinda leaning toward bad gas as another suspect. Let me know what you think.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:40 AM
1st Gear Member

could be gas. if you're familiar with cars, you should be able to handle this. it's all the same, really.

do a typical pump test- pressure at the rail and flow into a bucket.. measure flow as GPM (you know, time it for 60 seconds whilst running the pump, measure the volume pumped at the end of a minute.. this is the GPM.. MIGHT be in LPM tho?)

i'll look at the manual and get some specs for ya if you need them.

does it throw a code or does the idiot light come on before it chits out on you?

those keys i think are coded and if theres a problem in the theft deterrant system, it'll kill the bike right quick. as well, any stupid little thing like a loose wire or plug will cause the same fiasco..

keep us posted, and welcome to KF!!

Old 10-29-2008, 02:58 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

what about the kick stand nuetral switch?? maybe the wires are shorting out?

Old 10-29-2008, 09:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Whitehendrix... thanks man for checking in to that for me. I am going to run this gas out before I start messing with stuff. I drove it about 60-80 miles today and I didn't have one problem. I think it might be bad gas but I will definitely be needing some specs if it continues to mess around. No idiot light turns on when it starts to cut out.
Hoedogg... I checked the neutral switch first thing.... that was my first suspect and it didn't shut off or cut off or anything when I tried to move the wires or connection around. Thanks
Oh yeah, one more question, what is PWI???

Quick Reply: 05 ZX6R Engine cutting out