'05 ZX-6R FI problem...

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 05:06 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: '05 ZX-6R FI problem...

I'd say the biggest problem would be when they attach the cable to the bikes negative terminal on the battery and not a simple ground. That is where I have had to spend hours upon hours fixing wiring on peoples cars. That is how you open the can of worms when jump starting something. Other than that I kept reading people saying it's pushing to much amps on the bike. Electricity doesn't push it pulls =)

I'd say don't do it unless you have to. If you do decide to do it... know what you're doing first =)
With that said I try like hell never to do it lol... But that's just because our bike has got to be half way to impossible to get a jumper cable on it without a lot of extra work. With all the work it takes I'm more of a fan of replacing the battery if I believe there is half a chance the acid has dried up.

Old 09-05-2006, 03:11 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: walight01

i've just seen too many posts here where people try to jump start there bike and fry stuff

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_28246/tm.htm

we were trying to jump the batter and one of the ends slipped off the car end and hit a bolt and sparked everywhere...after that the bike had a total loss of power.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_28535/tm.htm

Anyways,
there was a spark the first time and I take it off immediately. I should stop and THINK but I insist and tried
the second time
it just seems things go wrong when jumping a bike
I know what you are saying, but both of those problems and 99% of the others are plain ignorance. I just don't think we should scare people away from jumping a bike when it's needed.

So Maverick, have you tried a new battery or a jump yet?

Old 09-05-2006, 06:07 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Check to make sure the battery terminals are clean and on tight. Loose terminals cause a lot of problems. And make sure to get the battery charged or ride it a while after you jump it so it can get charged. You can also bump start the bike if you have a problem with jumping it.

Old 09-05-2006, 06:35 AM
1st Gear Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: 05ZX6R

ORIGINAL: walight01

Unfortunatley, you cannot pop-start it since it has electronic fuel injection.
yeah you can, if you get it going fast enough, when you engage the clutch, if the motor spins the alt will make power instantly giving the bike power, but thats if you can get the motor to spin and not just lock up the rear tire.

Old 09-05-2006, 07:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Jump start =)

Bike ran for about 4-5 minutes and then just shut down. Power was fluctuating a bit (judging by the lights) then when I moved that one sensor (That bike down sensor) it shut down and had more power than before I jumped it but not enough power to start it again (didn't even try to turn over) So battery gained some juice but not enough. I was weirded out by the power fluctuating though once it's running that power plant should be doing about 14 volts I remember checking that on my 2000 I imagine the 05 should be around there too. Which is plenty to get those lights on to full power. (of course amps come in to play to of course but either way it should have been putting out enough juice) Even if the battery was completely incapable of taking a charge the power plant should have been able to support 100% of the load and the power fluctuating didn't make sense.

Which is why I was hoping to see if you guys had something other than a dead battery suggestion.

1. I figure either one way or another the battery could still be the problem even though I can't explain how (not like that's ever stopped me before considering my amazing record of being horribly wrong lol)

2. Loose connection. I of course checked for these and couldn't find anything. No corrosion was found anywhere gumming up the connections either which is how a bike that's only a year old should be so that checked out. Something shorting out. Quite easy for me to miss one of those wires of course as it could be quite a few but I checked what I figured to be the main culprits.

3. Something beyond my knowledge that I can't even guess at lol

So since we've established jumping as possible but dangerous I'll take my one success and not press my luck so I'm not going to go that route again. Next step for me will be to pick up a battery tomorrow.

I have this problem of thinking I'm smarter than I am so I don't always try the obvious assuming I've ruled it out. So whether I can figure out why or not I'll replace the battery anyways. It's been dead for longer than I perfer so the acid drying up is possible at this point. Hell maybe the battery is so gone it's adding resistence to the electrical system some how (no idea nasty shot in the dark there lol)

Forgive all my long winded posts it's part of my thought process just writing it down, and secondly forgive all my ignorance contained in said long winded posts lol IJ ust kinda throw things out there and hope someone can understand where I am going wrong and set me back on the right track.

Old 09-05-2006, 10:03 AM

Doesn't the bike have to be rode around some for the alternator to charge the battery? I remember someone saying this at some point in my bike experiences. Let us know how the new battery fairs.

Old 09-05-2006, 12:43 PM
1st Gear Member

The bike doesn't have to be ridden to charge the battery, but by riding it you put load on the motor and the alt. will work harder and produce more amps charging it faster. I still think it is just the battery. You can pretty much rule out any electrical components since the bike is still so new. The fluctuating is just the voltage regulator seeing inconsistant power and trying to dispurse it to the battery and the eletrical components at the same time.

Old 09-05-2006, 11:38 PM
1st Gear Member

All hail the forum God's you guess nailed it on the head. Guess all the "weirdness" was very simply caused by lack of power. New Battery installed and everything is perfect except for one thing. When you turn the key on the FI system goes to turn whatever that is for the exhaust and it does it as if it is straining and the cable looks like it might be getting stuck on something or something is putting some friction on it. Doesn't move as easy as mine. Followed it's path and did my best to make sure nothing was forcing down on it but didn't find anything. Will probably take the tail off next to be sure.

On another note. The bike doesn't turn anything like my bike 06' same model (636) and it looks like the alignment might be off a hair that or my guess would be a bent fork. Bike was involved in a pretty serious wreck a little over a year ago. Came back from the shop just like new or so I thought. Maybe I didn't notice the steering problem until I had my brand new bike and noticed the difference. If it's simply alignment I was told just loosing up all the brackets and shake the steering and it should straighten it self out. How do you do this exactly though? Do you have to get the front end off the ground? If so I how exactly as a front stand isn't going to help you any since it would hold the forks right?

And last but not least between 05 and 06 did they change the angle of the windscreen or the placement of the tach? His windscreen gets in the way of my view to the tach where as I don't really notice that with mine. Maybe I was just in a different riding position since I was a little tensed up about the poor handling.

Old 09-06-2006, 02:52 AM
1st Gear Member

well for handling. did you check tire pressure on the 2 bikes? b/c just a few psi makes all the difference in the world. also the way suspension is setup will make a difference. if you lower the front/raise the rear, the bike will turn quicker. as far as alignment, basically you nailed it, loosen EVERYTHING possible up shake it around, maybe tap everything with a rubber mallet.

Old 09-06-2006, 10:20 AM

Oy, the cables that go from your.. exhaust servo? (dunno the technical term) to your muffler can be tightend by taking the rear cowl off, lifting up and pulling on the cable then tightening the nut that sits in the groove of the stock exhaust.

Now, for something "funny".. So I'm working on my bike cause I wrecked it and I get enough of the parts on to take it for a spin. I head out and go down the road about 2 miles and I'm driving around in this neighborhood and my bike shuts down and the FI light comes on. CRAP! I had to push it half a mile to a Wal-Mart and have my buddy come to my location and jumpstart me with some cables I just bought from Wal-Mart. I dunno if I should bother charging the battery or just buy a new one. How much was your battery? Oh, and check out the blurry night picture of my bike getting jumpstarted and my buddy.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2444/42BB2C4ABA9A4CDFBE130B75EE9D2C8D.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: '05 ZX-6R FI problem...