'05 ZX-6R FI problem...

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 09:02 AM
1st Gear Member
Default '05 ZX-6R FI problem...

My friend's 05 isn't starting up anymore. When you turn the key on the normal FI noises are not normal. It goes and then a very short pause takes place, then goes again, and so on. Very short pause more of a short hesitation than anything else. When you go to start it after that finally does it's thing. Nothing happens other than the lights dimming slightly.

Now that my horrid description of the problem is over (sorry never been good at describing those things)
I'll get into some of the trouble shooting I've done so far. Pretty basic actually. I disconnected the plug that connects into a (I'm assuming) sensor that is attached to the bracket just under the seat and above the battery. That sensor is not attached to anything else just sits there. Unplugged that one and tried again. No change. I then disconnected a 4 plug connector that only has 3 wires going to it. Once that was unplugged I tried again and this time when I turned the key on it did the normal FI stuff it does but unfortunately it wouldn't start again. I'm hoping that it's because that was unplugged though. Long story short I'm wondering what those 3 wires do and are hooked up to on that 4 plug connector that I unplugged as I believe that to be where my problem is.

Best I can tell the first sensor I talked about is as listed on a website I was checking out a bike down sensor. I doubt it has to do with this but could this be as simple as it seems and be a literal bike down as in on it's side per a crash? If so it would make a little sense as I had the bracket that was above the battery disconnected and had it just flopping around in all sorts of positions one of which I would imagine would have made it think the bike was down. That is of course assuming that's what it does.

The other group of wires I thought I may have narrowed that down to the fuel pump but not positive. If that is what they lead do I don't see how that could be causing my problem unless a wire was loose, disconnected, or maybe grounding to something on accident.

Anyways I'm exhausted from a long day and the mind is just not working with me to solve this problem seems like I should have figured this one out but in my dumbed down state it's beyond me tonight.

Old 09-03-2006, 09:12 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: '05 ZX-6R FI problem...

Ran back out there (I'm obsessed...) Made sure to have that bike down sensor in the right position (the non upside down on it's side position heh...

Also when I disconnect the other connector (4 plug with only 3 wires in it) the low fuel light comes on if that helps narrow things down.

One other thing under certain conditions don't know them all exactly for sure right now so I won't name them in order to try to help minimize the already staggering confusion that my writing has caused. The starter relay (or magnetic switch) makes loud and rapid clicking noises however does not engage the starter motor.

Old 09-03-2006, 09:26 AM
1st Gear Member

that sound you hear is what my bike does when the battery is dead.

Old 09-03-2006, 09:28 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

yeah, exactly. try charging the battery, replacing it with a good one, jump starting your old one the correct way to jump a mc bat so you dont fry it and post back.

Old 09-03-2006, 10:14 AM

Yeah guy, the second I read your first line I thought "dead battery." You really don't want to go messing around with the wires/relays/anything under your seat unless you know for certain there is something wrong in that department. If you disconnect the plugs to the box that's mounted on the side of your rear frame and under the seat I know you won't hear your fuel pump start up at all (the whining noise when you turn your ignition key)... not only that, your starter won't turn when you hit the start button. Try to put everything back to normal and start with the battery.

Old 09-03-2006, 05:23 PM
1st Gear Member

don't jumpstart it. if you don't have a battery tender.charger, then take the battery out of the bike and then hook it up to a car with jumper cables. it won't take but a few min to charge enough to start the bike. if you try to jump the bike regulary, you will fry a bunch of **** on the bike b/c its not designed to handle that kind of load. I know what you mean evil but inexperience can be $$$

Old 09-03-2006, 11:48 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: walight01

don't jumpstart it. if you don't have a battery tender.charger, then take the battery out of the bike and then hook it up to a car with jumper cables. it won't take but a few min to charge enough to start the bike. if you try to jump the bike regulary, you will fry a bunch of **** on the bike b/c its not designed to handle that kind of load. I know what you mean evil but inexperience can be $$$
What "load" are you talking about? It's still a 12v system, you can jumpstart a bike with no problems at all. Obviously the fuses would pop before any extra juice would fry any electrical components. It even shows you how to jump a motorcycle in our manuals. It is a pain in the *** though since you have to lift the gas tank and keep it supported. If you do jump start it, don't forget to hook the negative to a foot peg or something else, just not the negative terminal of the bike battery.

Unfortunatley, you cannot pop-start it since it has electronic fuel injection.

Old 09-04-2006, 06:27 AM
1st Gear Member

I'd have to agree on that one. Electrical being electrical it doesn't force electricity upon the bike, the bike takes what it needs. It will never take more than that with my understanding of how electrical systems work ( mind you that is limited and almost nothing lol )

Old 09-04-2006, 06:49 AM
1st Gear Member

i've just seen too many posts here where people try to jump start there bike and fry stuff

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_28246/tm.htm

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_28535/tm.htm

it just seems things go wrong when jumping a bike

Old 09-04-2006, 07:13 AM
1st Gear Member

I think the biggest problem comes when someone tries to start the bike with the cables still attached

Quick Reply: '05 ZX-6R FI problem...