05 Air filters

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 03:18 AM
Default 05 Air filters

Hey guys just need a little help on this, trying to get the right air filter before i start dyno tunning. So far i know K&N and BMC make air filters for it. Some say K&N are better and others difer. What i want to know is which one really is the best one for the job, and 2 BMC has replacement for the stock and a race air filter , whats the difference, any input on this would be greatly apreciated... thank you

P.S if you know of any other manufacter making air filters please post. thanx

Old 08-23-2005, 04:13 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 05 Air filters

K&N and BMC race give about the same airflow. You may get veried opinuns on this though. The BMC stock replacement is much closer to the stock filters air flow. I use K&N partly because I am familiar with them and have plenty of cleaner and re-charger on hand. If you go with the BMC race or the K&N you will have to adjust AF mixture. Which means re-jetting or custom map for your PC.

I have Ivans jet kit and have tuned mine to Ivans specs using the K&N and it rocks.

Don't for get to post up your dyno results and information for us.

Old 08-23-2005, 04:28 AM

So it would be safe to say, get either K&N or BMC race, since i am installing aftermarket ECU, a powercommander , then dyno tunning the whole shabang, here is an off question if i change sprokets, would that in any way affect HP, what i mean is when you change your sprokets set to lets say a faster accel, would the sproket set affect with what the dyno says as if i woudl have the stock sprokets there ???? just curios to know... thanx for the info

Old 08-23-2005, 05:04 AM
Super Moderator

Yea either filter IMO is good. K&N is not through away though.
Are you getting or do you have after market exhaust?
As far as the sprockets go it wont affect the top end on the HP but it should get you into the power band faster. I am wondering about that. You should ask the dyno tuner. Not the service tech but go ask the guy actually doing the tuning. Then post back his answer.
Where are you getting it done at?

Old 08-23-2005, 05:09 AM

Changing sprockets won't affect your horsepower, but it will feel like it has. As far as aif filters go, everyone that I know uses a BMC. K&N's for the 05 are about the same as stock. My mechanic who also races, as well as the mechanics at my local shop all recommended the BMC over K&N. Also if you have aftermarket exhaust, don't install the air filter until after you put on the power commander or on the dyno. Your bike will run way too lean with both filter and pipe...

Old 08-23-2005, 05:35 AM
Super Moderator

Ryninger makes a good point about being lean. All those aftermarket parts should be installed the day of the dyno and then truck the bike over if it's far.

Old 08-23-2005, 09:38 AM

Ok well, here's the deal:
05 ZX6RR
Full Akrapovic Evo System
Kawasaki ECU KIT
Powercommander
Sproket kit
and i guess ill go with BMC air filter.

Now the people that will be doing the dynoing and tunning is a shop in Huntington Beach (CA) called R Cal and the people supplying me with most of my info and parts is a Shop called VIP Kawasaki but i belive they have changed there name to Advanced Kawasaki. The good thing about advanced kawasaki is they have a track ZX6RR and they give me most input on what works and doesnt I belive there are building this bike to compete in AMA. Now both shops have highly recomended to do all tunning after all aftermarket companets are one. Becuase of the fact then when remapping ECU it will remap the mixture to the amount of air the air filter allows the flow through. Therefore if i dyno tune with OEM air filter once aftermarket is installed it will through off the whole tunning. Which makes sense since, i have seen the same issues in tunnig turbos in cars. So all this may go down in about a month or so depending on how fast i get the BMC air filter in. Thanks for all your guys input.

Old 08-24-2005, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator

Nice list of stuff bro your bike is going to be rocken for sure. I go to a shop in Costa Mesa called Mach 1 and there pretty good to.
Don't for get to post up your dyno charts.