GIPro

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 05:05 PM
Default GIPro

Hey guys, I'm looking for some help. Let me first say, I sorta feel like a trader over here on a Kawasaki site. I'm an avid Yamaha rider with an '06 FJR A currently. I'm old and retired and have to much time on my hands, so I do a lot of tinkering. Recently my 25 year old son purchased an '06 ZX14 from someone he knew. Currently its all stock except for some ugly pin stripping (red stripes on black paint, tried to make it look like a Yamaha Raven) and a larger rear sprocket.

The story behind the rear sprocket has my intrest. According to what this guy told him, he changed the sprocket to try and offset something Kawasaki has done to the timing on the bike. I am aware that Suzuki retards the timeing on their bikes and to use a tre device to offset it, but wasn't aware that Kawasaki was following in their foot steps. Now before you guys start jumping on me, I did do a quick search for 'tre' and it came back with nothing (I'm old and not real smart, but I do have a favorite FJR forum I watch!).

So, I've found different information in a couple of different places, and this is what I found. http://www.metricpowersports.com/cgi...ric/GIpro.html. They have a device called a GIPro that I wondered if anyone has ever used. The reason I think I like this is because of the gear indicator. At least with the Suzuki's, once the TRE is plugged in, it messes up any factory gear indicator the bike may have. I assume the Kawasaki's are the same, let me know if I'm wrong. I also like it because it looks to be a mass produced item instead of a home built jobby that someone threw together. I've seen some of the cheap little TRE devices that you can buy for the Suzuki's and I also know that on occassion, they don't hold up well. Plus, the guys on that site also have the SpeedoHealers to fix the speedometer which is now reading incorrectly.

So I'm just looking for some feed back from some owners. Tell me if I'm missing something important please. Also, if any of you have a GIPro and could offer some feedback about function and quality, I would appreciate it. Also install ease.

If I'm bothering anyone, I'm sorry. Looking forward to your responses.

Bax[/align][/align]PS....I have posted this in other places also in case it look familiar.[/align]

Old 02-02-2007, 03:26 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: GIPro

Welcome to KF. I am not an owner of a 14 myself. I have only read forum stories on the 14. Some sound good while others did not. I will need to pay more attention on the 14's

Old 02-04-2007, 08:09 PM

Thanks for the welcome Dragone. Seems that either there isn't much known about this topic or the forum is someone inactive. Maybe this is to new to the Kawi world. Is anyone using any TRE product?

Old 02-04-2007, 10:41 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

A few riders of the 10r's use them along with the pc3. I do not have one since I have the kit ecu on mine. (still playing and learning would be a better word, I guess).

Old 02-09-2007, 08:46 AM

Hey Baxter,

I'm a 14 owner. I bought mine last May. Rather than getting the TRE, I would recommend having the secondary throttle plates removed. Please see my post "Removed the secondary throttle plates... Wow!" Doing so releases all the lower end torque this bike has to offer. Just know that this will give the bike about 25 ft. lbs of torque boost at around 3500 RPM's! Yeah, I know it's insane and unheard of, but it's true.

Please know that whichever route you choose (TRE vs. Secondary throttle plate removal), you MUST get a power commander and ,have your bike dyno tuned! Doing either mod without a new mapping may do some damage, not to mention make the ride very unpredictable.

I've put almost 17K miles on my 14 with about 5K of those miles with the secondary plates removed. I have to say, I absolutely love this bike. It's performance and rideability surpasses the hype.

Right safe, enjoy the 14, and be sure you're ready for this kind of power before you go either route. This bike can do power wheelies like nothing else. You need to have good throttle control.

-Ghost_Dog

Old 02-18-2007, 01:39 AM

Thanks for the feedback Ghost Dog! You are definetly a man in love with his motorcycle.....I completely understand that feeling. I'll have to keep this all in mind and try to steer my son responsibly since it seems that this machine sounds like a beast waiting to be unleashed. I wouldn't mind just the TRE ( and I'll probably go with the GIPro that I mentioned) by itself. Doing modifications to make that much more torque may not be something I will even mention to my 25 year old. Motorcycles are fast enough as is, and I'm sure he will manage to get himself in enough trouble without any extra bite. I just hope that I've raised him right and he is responsible enough that I don't have to worry as it is.

I appreciate all of your input. I may be around on occassion since I now have a Kawi sitting in the garage.
Take care guys and ride safely.

Bax

Old 02-18-2007, 02:18 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Hey Baxter, from the sounds of it, you have instilled some good insights. But a boy has to do what a boy has to do in order to grow up fully. Besides, looks like you are the one doing the research and read ups. hahaha, wish ya luck.

Old 02-19-2007, 05:57 AM

Dragone,
Your right about that, I am the one doing all the research. When you retire, you end up with a lot of time on your hands. I'm the kind of guy that needs something to keep my mind entertained! And since I'm doing all the 'work', I get to decide what he knows about and what he doesn't. He definetly has to be his own person at this point, but I can still be his dad and try to protect him.I know that when I was his age I could have benifited from someone looking out for me a little more.I'm sure any parent understands that.

By the way, if anyone is interested in the TRE I mentioned, I have spoken to the guys at Metric PowerSports. They are part timers it sounds like, but were very very helpful withmy questions. They say that the GIPro's are pretty well flying off the shelves for both the Suzuki's and Kawasaki's. I've got a GIPro and a Speedohealer coming from them. If anyone is in the market for these items, I would say they are worth looking into.

Bax

Old 02-19-2007, 06:40 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Right on Baxter, I think we are on the same page.
Concerning the GI Pro, I will await your experiences.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:41 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Baxter

I sorta feel like a trader over here on a Kawasaki site.
What are you trading? Your Yammie on a green machine?

[8D]

Quick Reply: GIPro